Saturday, March 9, 2013

University & Kung-Fu Club Starts Up Again!

Thursday February 21st, 2013

I caved in. For a good reason of course. Today was made into a uniform day by my own will. It is comfortable to chill in especially when it comes to taking naps hunched over but also I knew ahead of time that it was a club day. Doing various outstretched martial positions aren’t exactly best done in jeans. ;) Therefore uniform day.

As well as University day! First lesson since the month long winter break! Heading to the normal classroom on Thursdays an obstacle laid in my way. Bars. The entire building was barred from the inside. Umm…what the heck?! I’ve never ever seen any of the doors barred before and this time it was all of them! Every fellow classmate was confused as well and didn’t know what to do other than wait in front of it for the teacher. But some magic happened and an administrator found us and led us to our proper classroom, one that which we’ve never been to nor were we told about. It’s all right though since we got there in the end. :)

And a nice classroom it was! The exchange students and teacher both had our fingers crossed to be assigned this room for the second semester but alas we didn’t get it. The upcoming Monday room seems to be good but the Thursday room…so not. XD Oh well life moves on.

Beforehand I was 82% sure the exchange students had a Lesson 8 test the day we returned to University. So of course I studied the vocabulary, Chinese characters and a wee bit of the grammar but not a large enough amount to expect an A+. The grammar was the hardest as it was confusing and I couldn’t recall the teacher covering half of it. (I ended up being right about not learning all the grammar yet) We did end up having a test but only writing Chinese sentences in the character format that included the lesson’s vocabulary. As a handicap, the teacher put all the vocabulary’s Chinese characters on the board while omitting the pinyin and meaning. Only one other girl and I studied over the break and were prepared with being able to write without such a handicap. Therefore the teacher had us turn around so our backs were to the board and said she would award extra points for not using it. Score! Yay for being prepared! :D To my surprise, I was half shabby at the test! I got all the Lesson 8 vocabulary down pat but other words not yet learned or from ages ago gave me a bit of trouble. Teacher explained to us beforehand that even Taiwanese people forget Chinese characters if not used for a while. So exchange students not using them for a month fall in the same category. XD

Something I learned today revolved around the Chinese character “” (hot). The romanization/pinyin is “re” but sounds like “rrr-uh.”  Teacher pointed out an incorrect adaptation I made for pronouncing it. I said it like “luh” because that is how I hear Taiwanese pronounce it. Turns out that they are saying it wrong somewhat out of laziness! I’m proud of myself that I can unknowingly adapt in such ways even if they are incorrect. That’s what teachers are for, to set you straight! But when you think about it, this difference is strange. Chinese has the “rrrr” sound in its language but uses “lll” more. Do I sense a connection to Engrish? *eyebrow wiggle* Like how “rice” turns into “lice.” How “rock” turns into “lock.” It’s not that they can’t pronounce an “r” sound, it’s just they rather use an “l” sound I guess. XD My revelation of the day. :P

Lunch was simply eaten at the University cafeteria with the Belgian student Maxime. Both of us ordered the lovely #8 sandwich of wonderful vegetables, fruit, cheese, raisins, nummyness and more nummyness! It’s been too long my friend! That goes for my bud Maxime too! He’s a friendly guy and eager to talk to people. …For he’s a jolly good feeeeellow, for he’s a jolly good feeeellow, etc. XD

I also purchased from 7-Eleven a milk tea I’ve seen advertised on subways and a popular drink bought by Taiwanese. It was tasty but like most all bottled milk tea, very sugary. The stomach area wasn’t feeling too good about drinking all of it but at least the taste-buds were pleased to meet it and experience before my exchange is terminated. To avoid the sugar problem you must go to a drink shop and request for 75% sugar, 50%, etc. It’s different for every shop but I recommend 50% or less. In some places, if you gave me a milk tea without telling its sugar percentage, I would think the 50% was actually 100%. Sometimes 50% will taste like 25%. It all depends on the place but usually for everyone, 100% is too much. There’s a Taiwan tip for the day. ;)

Back at Tatung, for the students who chose to wear normal clothing and not school uniforms I noticed a trend. They’re, well, trendy. Everyone’s wearing fashion clothing rather than just T-shirt and jeans. I suppose it’s their chance to show off their style in the few days of wear-what-you-want privilege. But also the clothing sold at night markets are geared toward being fashionable rather than just plain stuff so that I think is Taiwan’s style, to be trendy. For girls at least, the style revolves heavily around layers of clothing. For both genders, a stylish jacket is usually involved even if hot weather graces the day. There’s some Taiwan observations for ya!

As mentioned, club was today. To my surprise the two assistant teachers were not there and our kung-fu master arrived on time (he usually comes half way through the class after we finish warming-up and do routines). Since it’s the second semester you can switch club if desired or stay in the same one as first semester (Btw, you can only chose one club because they all occur on Thursdays from 3-5PM). Not many people left the martial arts club but I didn’t distinguish any new faces. Because of this our class glided through our learned grasshopper routine, practiced our lion dancing and began learning a new routine. The new routine was fun because I’m understanding more and more of how the master teaches each move. The routine is comprised of many different moves, all of which can be used in fighting. To demonstrate, he will break down each move and show (on a student) how they can help you. It’s always fun to see (or have done on yourself) the teacher whooping students butts in only a few moves anywhere from putting them in a painful arm lock to knocking them on the ground. That’s a kung-fu master for ya! XD

It broke my heart a bit when I had to tell the kung-fu teacher that I couldn’t take outside lessons from him anymore. When I handed him the tuition fee he looked at me with big eyes and asked “Why?” as if a little sad. The reasons revolved around the lessons being too far away, consuming nearly 4.5+ hours between transportation and lessons. Fingers crossed I’ll take martial arts in America but I just couldn’t continue them in Taiwan. I’m sorry teacher!

My host father gave me some government LED paper lantern DIY constructing thing that would form into a snake (animal choice is obviously based upon the zodiac year we’re in). He told me that its name is “Ha Ha.” Its cute and I’m touched that he gave it to me. That shows he remembers I like to build papercrafts. He did the same with an iconic red and white papercraft aboriginal boat. I haven’t yet made them since they would 100% get squished and ruined flying back to America but I look forward to assembling them!

Something I’ve been itching to try was finally drunken! Free packs of ‘Mr. Brown Coffee’ snatched from the hotel room on the Eastern Rotary trip have been tantalizing my mind with curiosity. A long night was ahead so I decided some caffeine couldn’t hurt. Whipping out a ‘Blue Mountain Blend’ flavor, hot water was poured into a mug and the packet was ripped open. This was definitely new to me. Never have I heard or tasted coffee like this. I’ve seen coffee packets where it has a little bag that hangs from the cup edges and you pour hot water through it. It’ll filter through the coffee bag and come out tasting like, well, coffee. This one however was not like that at all. Think of cocoa packets. That’s what it was. Brown and white powder was contained in the packet and was simply supposed to be stirred into the water just like hot cocoa. Strange, strange indeed. Regarding the taste it wasn’t bad but I might have put too much water in because it tasted more like flavored water or, if you prefer, way watered down coffee. Now I know for next time to try having less water so until then, my opinion has not been set. That’s probably because I’m biased to Mr. Brown Coffee.  XD

The entire night was work work work. All the blame is for be being behind on Taffys. The goal is to write five Taffys in one night. Oh Lord that’s a lot! Well, this one’s done. Four more to go! So farewell friends! Have a pleasant day/night! ^_^

P.S. I only completed 3/5 Taffys I wanted to finish. Woo-wee these took awhile! It’s 2 in the mornin’! That’s what happens when there’s eventful stuff to report on but due to numerous obstacles couldn’t document on time and therefore kept getting pushed back. Mmm, fun. :P Ok less than four hours before needing to wake up. I sense coffee tomorrow. XD Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment