Monday, March 25, 2013

My Rotary Club's 58th Anniversary Party

Monday March 18th, 2013

BAM! Punched in the stomach! Or at least that’s what it felt like…all morning and all afternoon and all night. It hurt and I had no idea why. And it soooo wasn’t fun. Therefore I ate wonton soup in attempt to calm my stomach down with something light. It helped a bit but didn’t cure my pain 100%. Not fun time.

High school then an early 3:30 leave in order to get home early for dolling up. The formal dress up was for my Rotary club’s 58th Anniversary party. Host father and mother also came along. It was held at the same location as our usual meetings, the Ambassador Hotel, but on the 2nd floor instead. Inside a huge room with many tables, a stage stood in the front where several awards and performances took place. My favorite of all was aboriginal singing. After all, why wouldn’t it be my favorite? :P

The first group was a man and three girls from the Paiwan aboriginal tribe. Apparently this man is known for preserving the Paiwan culture, one way accomplished is through the songs they sang for us. It was so beautiful, especially the girls’ voices. Their harmony was outstanding and I captured it on video. Yay! :D

A closer look at a male Paiwan’s outfit.

And the Paiwan female attire.

Another group of aboriginal singers.

Upon seeing my club counselor Uncle Barry, the first thing he said to me was mentioning how my “host family is treating you too good.” Confused at his words, he explained that meant they were feeding me a lot as he mimed a plump stomach. …Oh my gosh. I understand that bringing up weight gain in Taiwanese culture isn’t meant to be rude but you have to realize that I’m internally wired to take such comments as offensive as is the American culture. I’m glad he said that though because my host parents heard it with their own ears and I have solid proof that I need more exercise. It’s more believable if it doesn’t only come from me. Therefore they seem more understanding of my problem and will help as best as they can. Gosh darn it I’ll lose weight in Taiwan yet! I just really need to catch up on sleep so I won’t fall flat on my face if exercising. XD

I’ll show y’all the last part of the meal since that’s when I started taking food pictures.

This is a “steamed rice with taro in lotus leaf packet.” As you can tell, it’s wrapped up. Doesn't it look like a fat lembas bread? XD

Uncovered and revealing the inside. It’s such a pretty presentation! The taste was fair too. With taro and shrimp, it was a very interesting food, one I liked well enough.

A “honey barbecued pork pastry.” Woah this thing was yummy! It’s amazing how they created a food that floated in between a main course and dessert flavor. Sweet yet not sugary. Me gusta!

“Sweet black glutinous rice with sago in soup.” I had to Google ‘sago’ to find out what it is and I got this: “Edible starch that is obtained from a palm and is a staple food in parts of the tropics.” Whatever it was, it was tasty!

Asking what these little clearish balls were inside the soup, I got the reply of rice as well as being similar to tapioca (like in bubble tea).

Reaching late into the night, the party ended somewhere past 9:30. I won’t touch upon it much but I’ll say this, I don’t drink wine nor do I like to talk to drunk people. Both scare me.

Got home late, work to be done, Andrea exhausted, hence why this Taffy is lack luster. Forgive me. Please bear with it until I get well again. Thank you.

Night night everyone. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment