Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sun-Moon Lake & Long Lost Family Reunion!

Monday February 11th, 2013

First day waking up in a new city, new room and new family. It’s almost like switching host families again. XD There was a slight misunderstanding from the previous night. When I inquired about what time we would need to be ready the next day, I was told 7:00AM. Turns out that 7:00 was supposed to be the wake up time. Whoops. Oh well, no biggie. I was just an early bird. :P

Leaving the house rolled around 7:30 and breakfast was drive-thru McDonalds of sausage egg McMuffin, hash browns and coffee. Adding cream and sugar in a crowded moving car is really difficult…fyi. XD

After driving a bit, we stopped at a supposedly famous chocolate store called “18°C.” It wouldn’t open until less than thirty minutes and people were already starting to gather around. A small chocolate sample and coffee was provided outside, which we indulged in. I thought we would wait for the opening (since it seemed like we were for 15+ minutes) but it turned out not to be the case. We just plied back in the car, all seven of us, and drove on.

During the time we lingered outside of 18°C, there was a window that allowed onlookers to watch the company’s bakers create a round cake. This was fascinating, to a baker like myself, watching a long cylindrical cake rotating on a pole as this dude used a knife to cut it. All he had to do was lower the knife gently straight down and the rotating machine did the rest of the work for him. Sweet! Literally! XD

These were nearby the shop for sale. Apparently they are huge seeds (about the size of your palm) that you can carve designs into, such as Chinese characters. I asked whether or not you could eat it, to which I got “yes” as a reply. Even so, no one in their right mind would ever dare such a feat unless you possess iron teeth. XD

By the way, the seven mentioned members of this trip were host father, host mother, Michael, host mother’s sister, host mother’s sister’s two sons (both in their 20’s) and me. You’ll see pictures later, don’t worry. ;)

Throughout the mountains we swerved through, trees growing betel nuts thrived along their sides. This type of nut may be new to you, it was for me at least. I’ve heard of the term before on the subway when an announcement came up. “Please do not smoke, chew gum, betel nuts or eat food in the MRT. Thank you.” From what I gather, it’s a drug very prominent in Asia. Users can be easily spotted if they have unnatural red coloring around their lips and gums, almost as if they’re bleeding. I don’t think they’re illegal because I was told little shops with flashing rainbow lights and a beautiful girl sitting in the window sell betel nuts. Those places are EVERYWHERE in Taipei. I haven’t seen many people with the physical side effects from betel nuts most likely because I was told truckers are the ones who usually buy them. Remember, hugs not drugs!

The main activity of the day was to visit a park of some sort, which would lead up to the famous Sun Moon Lake of Taiwan. Pulling into the parking lot, sakura trees all in bloom graced the area with its stately presence. The pink flowers to the clear blue sky created such an eye appealing contrast. Weather, nice and clear, accented the feeling even more. Twas very lovely.

Approaching the entrance to the park, two males were flaming from up high with a familiar logo to the side of them. The famous and beloved ‘One Piece’ of Japan. Yes, it is a Japanese cartoon for those of you who don’t know, one that’s been around forever and seems endless in length. The show is very popular in Taiwan and most likely the same in other Asian countries. Unfortunately I only watched a little of the beginning a long time ago and don’t understand all these new characters I see. Therefore this park having One Piece plastered every which way didn’t have much of an effect on me. I don’t consider it a shame though because a smile or two came out when Zoro was sighted (the character I remember liking but don’t truly remember XD) If any of y’all are One Piece fans…don’t hurt me for going. XD

A display of Luffy and his ship. One Piece fans…have fun indulging your eyes. ;)

The first thing done was ride a towering UFO mast roller coaster. I excitedly dashed towards it with the expectations of it being a death drop with unforgiving bounces like I’ve experienced in America. This one was just five seconds or less of a quick drop. It helped wake myself up but not enough to satisfy the adrenaline junkie *points to self*. XD

We skipped the bottom One Piece park and took the available gondola straight up to the top of the mountain where Sun Moon Lake was waiting for us. It’s pretty darn hard to see but if you squint closely, the left gondola (the oncoming front side) has “Formosan Aboriginal” displayed. On the right gondolas (the backside of them) there’ll be a picture of a certain character from a certain mentioned anime. The nearest one is Sanji, Luffy next and then no clue afterwards. I laugh at how One Piece even commandeered the gondolas. XD

My 台中 family! Host mother’s sister is in the middle. Cang jie (the eldest son) on the left and Qi Han on the right. Don’t they look jolly? ^_^

This cable of gondolas reminds me so much of a string of Christmas lights. Doesn’t it look like that to you as well?

Descending to Sun Moon Lake! Almost there!

I’ve seen pictures of this esteemed lake and advertisements recommending it to tourists. It caught my attention and I’ve held onto a desire to go see it before my exchange ends. It occurred to me that I wouldn’t be able to since it’s not in Taipei nor is it a short bus ride away. That’s why I’m so happy and thankful to have been able to see its beauty and taste its thriving aboriginal culture.

The culture? Well-he-he-ell! That was the most wonderful, awesome, spectacular, fantastic, phenomenal part of the day. Starting with the favorite highlight of a performing musical group of aboriginals set up on the harbor where you can take boats to the other sides of the vast lake. We first sat down and listened to them in all their glorious music as well as gawk at their awesome clothing, at least I did. XD At one point they invited people to come and take pictures with the peeps, so I took advantage of that opportunity.

See that handsome guy on the left? Him, his outfit, dancing and singing were all my favorite. He was just overall astonishing and I wanted to hug him so badly. XD

Host mother’s turn. The arm/head wrestling going on the right is adorable. ^_^

And Michael’s!

Then after going back to sit down my host family asked me “Do you want to dance?” It so happens that the aboriginals were asking for volunteers to come up and learn a dance. Dancing? Aboriginal dancing? Heck YES I’m in! :D So my foreigner self skip-e-doodled up and waited to begin. No other people came forward so it was just two (later three) aboriginals and me.

They jumped into the song and dance with no warning or preparation so I had to learn everything on the spot. I’m sure in the video my host mother took I have confused face looking like a newb in the beginning. XD Very quickly I got the hang of it then and put more energy into the movements, enjoying each step. The guy on the right was the one I followed most and usefully told me “shou xi” (breaktime) when we simply had to step side to side during a musical interlude.

Halfway through an aboriginal lady joined the dance showing me the female version to which I adjusted my movements to match hers. Isn’t that an attractive face the right guy is making? XD

The men who sang their hearts out for the song! Gosh darn it Mr. Handsome-Tassel’s clothing and voice is gorgeous! The other guy seemed to cutely have a blast when singing away.

At the end of the song, we aligned like this in friendship. I would humorously like to point out the contrast of my neon white skin against my friends’, especially the guy to the right of me. Glowing white upon mocha brown. XD

This would be howling a “woooooo” to conclude our performance. I thanked my new friends for the dance and waved goodbye. That experience was so INCREDIBLY AMAZING! I LOVED IT TO NO END!

We then took a boat across the lake where a small temple lay as well as a good viewing point for the sun part of Sun-Moon Lake.

That island you see at the bottom would be the sun part. It’s like a small circle within a bigger one, almost like a target.

As a little munchy, my host father bought tea eggs. I didn’t really taste the tea part of its name but the egg portion was delicious as always. Come on, it’s an egg! You can’t go wrong with that. ;)

Next we took a boat to yet another side of the lake where mostly restaurants were located. With no previous reservations, we just grabbed a quick and cheap lunch at 7-Eleven. I chose a rice sandwich with chicken. Tasty as always.

The best part about this side of the lake was this darling. Totally unexpected and a total shock, BAM! Out of nowhere I see a beautiful cockatoo! Oh how I wanted to give him snuggles and kisses! ^_^

One last boat landed us at our original location, back at the harbor where my new friends sang and danced away. My host family sat down again to listen some more and rest. Guess what? They yet again asked for volunteers from the audience. Take a wild guess at who was first up there? XD

I didn’t go there alone though! I grabbed my cousin Qi Han and encouraged him to join me. See, he is a dancer though in the pop-and-lock and breakdancing field but nonetheless a dancer. Therefore I just had to get him to join in the fun! Success!

Both the song and dance were new so it was learning on the spot again. And just like last time, when I got the hang of the moves I let loose and had fun with it, a smile plastered across my face the whole time. Qi Han was a hoot to watch because he just messed around playfully. For those who are interested I can show y’all a video when back in Texas. I’m not patient enough to post it on YouTube because I don’t have the time to wait hours around my computer making sure it doesn’t fall asleep. :P

To finish the performance we all took a bow. Um…Qi Han? You’re supposed to bow. XD Don’t worry, he did soon after this photo. :P

I professed by want of hugging my beloved favorite of the group to which my host mother said I could. “Really?!” See, hugs aren’t common or even normal in Taiwanese culture but my host mother said that among aboriginals they are. So I leapt at the prospect and dashed for Mr. Handsome-Tassels. :P Unfortunately he was busy talking to the audience with the microphone so instead I hugged a very friendly guy who also is a great singer. Doesn’t he look precious? Eeeee! Hugs are fantastic! ^_^

When we bid goodbye to my new favorite people and left, my host family related an observation they made to me. During both of the times I got up to dance, more and more people made donations. My family joked that I should join up with them and earn them more money. We humorously speculated that perhaps I descended from them, which is why I picked up the dancing so well and fit in hence earning them more cash. Therefore we now say that those aboriginals are my long lost family. I embrace that idea lovingly and whole-heartedly. ^_^

Taking the gondola down half way, we got off to walk through an outside aboriginal museum-like area. There were beautiful sakura trees throughout the area, which called for picture time. Here we have my dear older brother Michael!

This was just lots and lots of laughs. Random but fun. Btw, that hat I’m wearing was recently purchased on the street just down from my long lost family. Tis a pretty aboriginal hat!

Michael’s head was to big to fit through the hole so he had to compensate. XD

Peace signs while being chained to a block of wood. Of course my host mother would do that. XD

Cang Jie being even sillier. Nicely done cousin. XD

Qi Han being the craziest of us all. Or perhaps being chained long enough caused him to go insane. XD

Host Father’s turn.

Some totem poles…

The zone between the top and bottom of the gondola system was an extensive hill filled with aboriginal houses. There were several different tribe sections with corresponding style of houses. I’ll show you a couple.

This is a chicken coop. Cozy huh?

Raised up house

Famous aboriginal red and white boats. Cang Jie looks like a curious cat tapping experimentally in interest. XD

The experience of exploring that aboriginal area was a lot longer and expansive than those few pictures depict. For time’s sake I shall just move on. At the bottom of the hill was back in One Piece land again. One building had areas dedicated to each main character where you could pose like them in a certain way. I dashed to Zoro’s stand immediately. ^_^ That picture is not in my possession but in my host father’s so I’ll show ya some others.

Michael posing as Luffy with a ginormous elastic fist. Feel the power! >:D

Cang Jie at Zoro’s station attempting to pull out the swords from the sheaths. He didn’t succeed. XD Perhaps it’s like an Asian version of the sword in the stone where you become the Pirate King if you pull out the swords. :P

We stopped at a water ride, roller coaster, stimulation ride and a merry-go-round. The water ride was ridden with Qi Han and he scared the crap out of me when he lost his glasses on the drop. Thankfully it just fell down on the coaster’s floor and we retrieved it after the ride. The roller coaster was Mayan themed and required extensive safety preparation as far as making me tie and tuck my hair in my shirt. And all for a really really quick ride. Still it provided a tad of a thrill to the point where I had fun shouting out random Spanish words for an added effect like “Mi Dio! Aye chihuahua, guacamole, burrito, churros, tacos (etc.).”

At the very end of the park was a fire juggling show as well as a park with some unknown lit up building. That terminated our trip to Sun-Moon Lake.

As you can tell from the pitch-black sky, it was getting well into the night, high time for dinner. A car drive away, we ate at a small place for stinky tofu and noodles.

A tasty bowl wonton soup.

Fantastic stinky tofu! Gosh I love this stuff!

My new beloved aboriginal hat I mentioned earlier. Isn’t it darling and precious? ^_^

After a bit of work to help me figure out the different aboriginal tribes, my host brother explained that my favorite Mr. Handsome-Tassel is originally from the Amis (阿美族) tribe but married into the Tsou (邵族), which were the other people’s tribe. So he says the Tsou is my tribe. Ok! I have a Taiwanese aboriginal tribe now! That’s awesome! :D

The more and more the memories of today’s aboriginal dancing reside in my mind along with gazing at pictures and videos, the more I fall in love with my long lost family. Their beautiful clothing, their melodious songs, their passionate voices, their energetic dancing, welcoming demeanor not to mention handsome men all are just so breathtaking. I cannot express how much I’ve fallen in love with them. They have stolen my heart forever. ^_^ In the category regarding an entire day from morning to night, this one has been my favorite in Taiwan so far. It holds a very dear place in my heart! ^_^

Stay well my friends! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment