Thursday, March 21, 2013

TORO TORO! *waves red cloth*

Monday March 11th, 2013

The bull-horned pastries bought yesterday at the night market were today’s breakfast. I selected the taro flavor and nuked it in the microwave for a nice warm temperature. Biting into it I discovered it was solely a bread pastry opposed to a cream filled one therefore the bread inside was taro flavored. The outside had a coat of butter that once melted made my fingers a bit greasy. For the taste test, it passed well enough. The taro flavor seemed faint to me so that I wouldn’t be able to distinguish the taro flavor (apart from the purple coloring) unless told to me. I liked the taro bull-horned bread and perhaps like the other flavors even more. The idea of this food just seems Spanish to me (but it’s not). El toro delicioso! (Delicious bull) XD


University was difficult today, not because of content but because of having to consistently fight sleep. The class has been on the same lesson for nearly two weeks now so it’s not like that material was new or hard. Closed eyes was the real enemy!

Eaten at Laya Burger with Maxime, I tried a new food called a “vegetable and chicken egg pie.” The “pie” part does not mean a chicken potpie but rather a moist Asian tortilla wrapped up like a roll. It’s an Asian burrito essentially. I must say that it was quite delicious! There was a hint of honey mustard, which gave it a fantastic kick of zest. This food gets my thumbs up for sure! I think I may have to attempt to recreate it (Chinese name: ‘dan bing’) back in America. ;)

Arriving a tad early at high school, I looked forward to having a nice, needed, restful nap. As I signed in, Redy (one lady in charge of exchange students) said that Rike (the German exchange student) brought her visiting biological mother to Tatung for lunch with the other exchange students and said I could join them. And so I did but the trade off was missing naptime. No big deal because I could catch up in class later.

After our chit-chatting and back to classes, I spent the full first hour of chemistry class passed out and as I noticed, wasn’t the only student to do so. Once the class ended I just begun to wake up when the homeroom/English teacher approached me and asked if I would come with her to a nearby class. Her next English class had an English project that I helped with last semester by having a culture discussion about shopping in Taiwan and America. She wanted me to listen to it as well as answer any questions the class may have. So that’ll be two whole hours of something I had no previous knowledge of on a day that sleep has not been in abundance for me. I was surprised and unprepared to say the least. XD Nonetheless I agreed and went full of curiosity.

Turns out it was a really fun time! This class of students were different from my own. The students were a lot more open and courageous to talk to me compared to others. They showered me in questions, which I answered all happily in 90% Chinese. Some were normal like “what kind of sports do you play?” to odder ones like “can you sing your national anthem?” Up until I reached the high part, I indeed patriotically sang the Star-Spangled Banner followed up with the class singing the Taiwanese national anthem in unison. It’s a lot slower and calmer than America’s but still interesting to listen to.

Here’s a link with lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjwn08Dev0

It looks as if I’ll get involved in several more projects with this class. I think it shall be a great experience filled with opportunities to make new friends! Yay! ^_^

Yesterday I asked Michael if he knew of any good jogging places around the house like a park or a trial. Since I can’t go to the gym by myself (address on Visa problem) and am in desperate need of exercise, I wanted another method to exercise close by. Apart from obvious weight gain, exercise is required from a lack of it hence me feeling more tired and having trouble concentrating often. Therefore Michael suggested the elementary school’s track field nearby. …PERFECT!

After dinner host father led me to the place and let me jog for a bit. Good Lordie it was wonderful! Cool weather, running forward as opposed to a treadmill and energetic music is da bomb! ;D Though I felt the extent of my out-of-shape-ness and realized my decrease in stamina. But I shall amend that with this lovely track so close to my house! I plan on filling my future often with it. ;D

A quick walk around a research facility that looks like a college called “Academia Sinica” and we headed home. Shower, needed nap and work. My day folks! Hope yours was swell! Take care now! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment