Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Family Biking, Temple & Market

Wednesday February 13th, 2013

The morning’s breakfast was rice porridge with various sides like veggies and meat. Rice porridge is basically watered down rice, like a rice smoothie. I’ll let you formulate your opinion on that description. XD For me, I didn’t think it bad but it wouldn’t be something I’d crave. That is solely my opinion.

With no warning given to me, Aunt, Uncle and Adam left early in the morning giving no opportunity for me to say goodbye since I was still sleeping. Sadness! For the remaining people (except the grandmother) we took a car to a biking route, rentable bikes available in excess. This time I went prepared! I slapped on good quality sunscreen brought from America to prevent further sunburn. Yes, I was still red from Sun Moon Lake though most of the pain went away. Though fairly hot I kept my windbreaker on for extra protection. The head was a worry spot because the only hat I had was back in Taipei. Note to self: bring hats when traveling!

The first biking route went over a bridge, through an extensive tunnel and around a green area. At the end, my heart whimpered. There was a horse riding facility…closed for holidays. Even if willing to pay a substantial fee, I still couldn’t ride a horsey…*sniff* Thankfully we left soon after so I wouldn’t be tortured (I joke when I say that :P) but really because the trail ended and we had to go back. The route was retraced, the fun decline before turned into working the thighs to go up the incline. A good number of people biked both directions with minimum back-ups present except at bridge or tunnel openings.

Family picture shots!

Qi Han

Host father

Host Mother

Cang Jie & Auntie

Just as we crossed this bridge it seems like a hoard of people followed behind. XD

A picture that nearly cost me my life! XD It's very difficult to take a good picture focusing on the camera when needing to balance the bike and dodge other bikers. Therefore appreciate my risking of my life. ;P

We rolled to another route, which started out fine. That is until we hit an enormous crowd. It was near a long row of food stands, some people trying to get food, some trying to continue the trail. Since it was lunchtime, my family stopped for a lunch of corn, rice bun sausage and water. All were tasty. We found a spot to stand and eat at away from the mass of bikers but as we continued to chow away, the crowd got denser and denser. The town was awake. Michael explained to me that many people sleep in until noon, which is why we biked earlier for smoother traffic. Now it just was insane as all those people were awake and moving. As a result we decided to go back rather than finish the trail because it would be a different chore fighting your way through. It was challenging just to get out of the area, away from the dense traffic. So we finished our biking pleasantly before the mass of bikers returned the other way.

Beautiful flowers seen along the way:



Once the bikes were returned, it was car time again to a place whose name eludes me. Whatever it’s called, it’s a famous huge temple and night market combo. Several streets were PACKED full of people where you have to waddle forward instead of walking. XD Within this crowd, I spotted someone who I couldn’t believe was there, a Slovakian exchange student girl I knew. Even if only acquaintances, we went through the ‘Wow, what a coincidence you’re here!’ sha-bang. The reunion was short-lived as my family shuffled our way to the large temple at the heart of the place.

Lanterns dangled from up high, incense floated in the air and dragons sat mightily upon roofs. The temple possessed beauty and even though crowded, still was pleasant to walk through.

A little fish-filled pond with a dragon statue in the middle. People would toss coin money in and try and get one in the dragon's mouth. So it looked like the dragon was gulping down money by the mouthful. XD

Fun fact: Traditionally, the street leading to the temple was where the market would be situated. Many people visit temples therefore it was an ideal place to set up stands. It still is today with hungry customers ready to devour different food stand creations. My family brought four primary foods:
(1) Fried seafood of various types
(2) What I think is spring onion pancake (but not certain)
(3)  Sauced corn on the cob
(4)  Grass jelly milk drink
      I.        
    II
   IV.  
The fried seafood wasn’t much to my liking but everything else was quite delicious. Don’t ask me to pick a favorite because I can’t. XD I can’t determine what sauce flavoring the corn was coated with but it went well with the golden vegetable. The drink was made with real milk and had no added sugar, which gave the grass jelly an interesting spin. For those of you who don’t know what grass jelly is, I’ll convert you later. XD Whatever disgusting thoughts the name gives you, discard them now. Grass jelly (which can be in drink form as well as jello) is a lightly sweetened treat worth trying for the experience, not something to fear. ;)

A stroll through the market then a trip down an old-styled street concluded our stay at the-place-I-cannot-name. Like my reference there? XD

All those foods we ate at the market I assumed to be dinner. They filled me up and would satisfy me for the rest of the night. Big mistake. Turns out they were only snacks! Back at the house noodles, fruit and peanut muachi (mochi) were served as our actual dinner. Not wanting to be rude I ate a small amount of food despite not being hungry. All were tasty as to be expected. ;) The night finished with watching “The Game Plan” in English.

While Cang Jie was trying to eat seaweed sheets as a snack, one of the cats lept up and tried to get a bite. Kitty likey! Course Cang Jie took the opportunity to play 'keep away' from the feline. XD

Alrighty, Taffy end. Night night everyone! :)

P.S. I found out the temple/night market’s name. Tis “Lu Gang.”

No comments:

Post a Comment