Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Favorite Store! A Baking Paradise!!!

Wednesday March 13th, 2013

For breakfast my host grandmother frequently gives me meat buns (包子) which is fine by me because meat buns are delicious! Up until today she has bestowed only two types upon me, one having a solid meatball inside the bun and the other containing cabbage and noodles. Today was a different kind of meat bun with vegetables and bits of meat. I’m not completely sure what the exact contents are but it was tasty. A lovely morning surprise to try something different. ^_^

That delicious surprise was much appreciated because I was soooooooo tired. With not enough sleep and a bucket load of work ahead of me, I purchased a can of double caffeine coffee. It surely was a lifesaver as it helped Andrea blast through nearly 3.5 hours of Chinese homework during the first half of school. I could feel the caffeine intermixing with adrenaline in my veins, causing an unpleasant uneasiness in my chest. Certainly my lungs and heart were feeling the effects. But the main thing is I eliminated a mountain of work and stress from my life. Bye bye sucker!

A downside of the caffeine/adrenaline juice is that falling sleep during naptime proved a challenge. I believed I achieved a helpful amount even if concise.

Two more hours of work after naptime. For the last hour of school, the elective computer class of I-can’t-participate-without-a-student-number-therefore-is-useless, I relaxed with J.R.R.Tolkien’s “Children of Hurin.” Nearly finished but not quite, the book is very interesting. While reading through some parts thoughts like, ‘Wow, Romeo and Juliet Middle Earth version!’ and ‘Isn’t that like the Greek mythology story whose name escapes me?’ popped into my mind. This book could totally be a tragedy play like the ones read in senior year English class! XD Not finished yet but getting there!

Mentally and physically dragging at this point, I met up with Maxime in order to finish the University favorite shop project. As you know, yesterday had some misfortune with my shop choice but we at least got Maxime’s all taken care of. Crafting a new plan and adjusting my questions, we were going to attempt the baking shop seen everyday while riding my bus and shortly checked out for the first time yesterday. All my fingers were crossed for the store to be open and the shop owner to be available and willing for less than five minutes of questions.

Getting closer and closer to the target destination, once in view, I let out a squeal with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. IT WAS OPEN! WHOO-HOO! THANK YOU LORD!

The interview went very smoothly except for one pronunciation snag easily solved. Maxime filmed while I questioned. The shop owner, a woman, was so kind in words and actions. When finished with the interview, I scanned the shop to purchase desired items. During this she friendly asked questions like “Where do you come from,” “Why are you in Taiwan,” “How did you discover this shop,” etc. At one point I asked if she had a displayed item in stock and she readily helped with a smile. She’s so approachable and kind that I fell in love with the store even more. The combination of her personality and the sheer fact that I was surrounded by baking heaven, this store truly has become my favorite in Taiwan. It’s just so wonderful! This success refreshed me, resulting in energizing me to walk with a spring in my step. Store exploration success, school project success, baking tool purchase success, just all out success!

Speaking of which, I did indeed buy several items from her stock. One was an Easter chocolate mold of CUTENESS! The molds were of bunnies, chicks and eggs. They’re just SO ADORABLE! But then the delightfulness continues with four Asian cookie cutters. Aren’t they precious?! At the top is the shape of the old form of Chinese money, now representing luck and wealth. Below is a pineapple, which I plan to use for making the famous Taiwanese pineapple cakes. ;) The rectangular cookie cutter is for making a traditionally shaped pineapple cakes and the final cookie cutter…do you recognize? Can you distinguish its shape? I’ll give you a hint, I’m towards the north of it. Got it? That’s right! A TAIWAN SHAPED COOKIE CUTTER! IT’S SO CHARMINGLY ADORABLE! I’ll go crazy with it back in America, I know it! ^_^

The beloved cookie cutter selection area. I’ll definitely pay a visit here again before returning to America. ;D

Not much was in the surrounding area. Only a few restaurants and even fewer stores, the baking one being the best of course. ;) The stores were like key and stamp stores so nothing you go to browse for leisure. For dinner Maxime and I went by a tasty wrap shop, once eaten before thanks to host father buying a few kinds and sharing amongst the family a long time ago. Nonetheless, the two of us went in as explorers ready for something new.

Remarkably the shop offered samples of both a sliver of their ‘shrimp roll’ and a tiny cup of soymilk. Testing both of them, my mind was immediately made up for me as I melted into the tang of each cuisine.

Behold! The food of the Taiwanese wrap gods! Or something like that. XD

Maxime was also convinced by the power of the samples to order the same, save for getting milk tea instead of soymilk. He likes his milk tea. XD

THIS FOOD WAS FASCINATINGLY DELICIOUS! WHAT KIND OF MAGIC DID THEY USE TO MAKE THIS?! Allow me to attempt to break down this delicacy’s components. Beginning with the outside, the wrap is the Asian version of a tortilla meaning thin, layered and soft. In fact this type was super soft and slightly moist but not soggy nor gooey. It was the perfect texture and had an appetizing taste too!

Vegetables from lettuce to cucumber snuggled inside with bits of shrimp. What really blew me away was the mouth-watering sweet sauce and a strange crunchy unknown substance. I could not figure out what the heck the crunchy bits were. At first I thought of crumbled up tacos but then a better-suited idea came to mind. It must’ve been the same kind of wrap but baked to a crisp and crumbled into tiny bits. …BRILLANT! Who is the mastermind behind these Taiwanese wraps?! THEY’RE EXTRAORDINARY! Hehe, can you tell I really loved the meal? ;P

Not wanting to take a bus but rather get a walk in exercise-wise, I began heading home with Maxime joining me for a bit. The evening was still young and he didn’t yet want to head home. So we explored a couple of stores along the way, such as a stationary-and-book store and reading café. Remember how I found a strange place near my house with mangas but not for sale? My host father explained that these kind of places were a rent-to-read area. They are useful to Taiwanese because buying many mangas can be pricey but more predominately take up a lot of space, space that isn’t a plenty. Therefore rent-to-read shops are a practical way for them to get their manga fill in.

Rain suddenly fell upon our heads and we had to retreat for shelter under the pathway in front of several stretches of shops. When Maxime turned back to head to his home, I continued to mine with rain no longer pouring down but just lightly misting. Back in my room, the ‘favorite shop’ project consumed my night by crafting a PowerPoint of sugariness. A cupcake background with add-ons of bright sweet pink and orange colors talking about a confectionary baking shop? I’m very proud of its turnout! ^_^ It does the shop and me proud! Though it gave me a heart attack when I tried to open it after saving and closing but said there was an error and could not open it. Yet when I saved it to my flashdrive, I could open it from the flashdrive. …Strange…but I’m not complaining! It’s functional, it’s there and it’s done! Now it’s a very much earned snoozle time. Good night all! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment