Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Year's Eve

Monday December 31st, 2012

No school today. Holiday. This meant sleeping in! Whoo! Then of course the whole get up for breakfast, do a few things then conk back out. The family didn’t have any outgoing trips planned for the morning and afternoon so I just did my own thing at home. Blog, Chinese, room cleaning, exercise, etc.

Before I knew it, the time to leave the house had come to watch the 3-minute midnight fireworks at Taipei 101 to celebrate the New Year. We  (host father, mother and I) left at 10:30PM, arrived about 11:25PM and proceeded to hobble through a crowd in order to find a good viewing spot.

It took several tries in many different spots, squeezing through multitudes of people in a balcony area at a Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall. When we did eventually find a decent view, it was still a squished area and I didn’t dare hold my camera up for too long in fear that I would block people’s sight behind me. Plus I rather watch these esteemed fireworks rather than battle getting good pictures or a video.

A rainbow Taipei 101 while waiting for midnight

Soon it was becoming close to midnight, only minutes until 2013. Then, completely randomly, fireworks began to shoot off from Taipei 101. I was shocked to say the least. No countdown. No build up. No warning. Just random. The fireworks continued for a couple minutes, their design mimicking a Christmas tree to me because of the building’s design.

Here’s a link if you wish to see it:

I’ve seen some YouTube videos where the people themselves do the countdown but that didn’t happen where I was. I think clock times weren’t correct on some phones hence my wish for an LED screen that did an official countdown. There weren’t any in sight for me. Oh well.

The fireworks also seemed to randomly end for me too. They were pretty, don’t get me wrong, but it truthfully felt strange. A contributing factor could be that it just didn’t feel like New Years Eve. Along with Christmas, it’s not a big or even important holiday in Taiwan. The one they truly celebrate is Chinese New Years, which takes place in a couple months. That’s when they get together for food, family and merriment. The New Years of 2012-2013, is not the same case. The extent is really just going to Taipei 101 to see the fireworks.

And after watching these fireworks, THE CHAOS BEGINS! What else would you expect if the majority of Taipei area’s population (6.9 million people) crowded into the same area then left at the same time to use the same limited capacity subway system. CHAOS! Oh my gosh I have never been in such a hoard before! The term squished doesn’t even begin to cut it! You know, at one point I stopped moving my feet…yet I still was going forward. You are pushed and shoved all around like a little play toy. I had to work hard to not think about it otherwise not-too-happy thoughts would pass through my mind. XD

I don’t even know how long we spent in such a clutter. We bypassed the first MRT station because that’s where most everyone was charging for. Instead we walked to the next MRT station for a little bit in thankfully a lot less traffic. But there was still traffic, trust me. My host father, mother and I calmly waited through the clutter and successfully got back to the house all in one piece with all our belongings. I was told by my host father that going to see Taipei 101 fireworks is a notorious time to get pick pocketed as you can obviously guess why. So yay for still having all my stuff!

Back at the house and time to pass out. As the early hour situation called for it, good morning! (instead of good night) :P

No comments:

Post a Comment