Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Leaf Wrapped Rice Pyramids!

Friday January 18th, 2013

So unfortunately I still had to attend school today even though I’m the only exchange student in my school doing so and it’s three hours of pointlessness, but at least I was able to sleep in an hour. Only one though. Since the Taiwanese students had a test from 8:00-9:00, I was required to be there at 9:00. I bought a cup of coffee anyway because I was in need of back up.

The first hour was cleaning the school. It turned out the cleaning was only for students who didn’t turned in their ‘communication book.’ Nonetheless I swept a room just to show I wasn’t useless. Then it was having a small talk with classmates half English half Chinese.

Once an hour passed it was time to spend two hours on the ninth floor listening to a speech that none of my classmates cared about. Even with the coffee, I conked out. Truthfully I wasn’t even trying to stay awake. ;P

The only upside to coming to school for three hours was FINALLY being able to eat at the Subway in front of Tatung campus. FINALLY YES!!!! The idea only is enough to make me happy but the sandwich was even better! The employee put way more veggies on it (love!) and ‘honey oat’ bread is different from what I’ve had in America. It has several big nuts hiding in the bread that gives a delightful crunch of flavor in a few delicious bites. It tasted great! ^_^

When I came home my host grandmother prepared bunches and bunches of the rice pyramid thing wrapped in two leafs. She first had me eat one, which was yummy, then brought me to the kitchen to show how to make them. I knew I was going to be taught today (and looked forward to it) but I expected doing it from the very beginning. She already prepared all the ingredients and only showed me how to form the final product.

The contents of the food were mostly rice with a little bit of beans, pork, egg yolk, and mushroom. You put all of that in a specific order inside the leaves, wrap it and tie it off with a string that’s connected to a whole bunch of other leaf rice pyramids. I’m just going to call them leaf rice pyramids for now because I don’t know its English name. I ended up making about two before we ran out of ingredients. I mostly watch host grandmother craft them and took mental notes. So perhaps I could find a recipe (once I know its Chinese or English name) and try to make it myself back in Texas. I think forming the leaf pyramid is the hardest part of it all so at least I vaguely know how to do it! :)
The beginning of forming the food

Host grandmother and her delicious work

The eldest son of my host family returned from college in Tainan (southern Taiwan) to spend the night in Taipei before flying for Japan the next morning. He’s spending about nine days in Japan and less than a month back in Taipei for his winter break. I’ve met him before but it was early in my exchange, which I hardly remember. (My mind wasn’t adjusted to Taiwan yet so I don’t remember everything in the beginning) But seeing him again was really cool because he’s a nice guy. His English is perfect so anything I have trouble explaining can be cleared up by him. We of course try to speak in only Chinese but that’s not yet possible for me.

Dinner was eaten out at a Taiwanese restaurant with host father, host mother, Michael and a couple that are friends of my host parents. The food was good but there was so much! My favorite was a type of tofu, not quite fried but not plain, more in the middle. I think I’ll actually miss tofu when back in the states. Maybe Chinatown markets will have them. ;)

When back in the car, we began driving home but ended up going to a camera store for Michael because he wanted a new camera. I was asked if I wanted to stay in the car or not. That for me is code for ‘It won’t take that long’ so I just tagged along. Two hours later…XD Yeah it took quite a debate in order to find the right camera. This resulted in leaving the store somewhere around 11:45 and arriving back home past midnight. I said ‘good morning’ instead of ‘good night’ to my host family. XD It slightly worries me because for the hiking trip tomorrow, Leo (church buddy) said to get plenty of sleep. Whoopsies, that didn’t happen. XD

Thanks to Michael today I did learn something interesting concerning ring wearing. A ring on the first finger represents success. For guys a ring on the third finger (left hand) doesn’t necessarily mean they are married. Actually Michael wears a ring like that but it’s supposed to be for bringing luck to find love. Girls that wear a third finger left hand ring can be used for warding off guys. It’s basically lying to other guys saying ‘I’m taken so don’t even bother’ but really they’re not married. Devious huh? :P

He also taught me the Infernal General hand gesture (mentioned in previous post) with all but the third finger upright. Also the middle finger touching the thumb is some sign for “fairies” in temples. I don’t quite understand and he had a tough time explaining but that’s as best as we got to.

So there’s my Friday for ya. Hope you enjoyed and I’ll see ya later. Byes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment