Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas Eve!

Monday December 24th, 2012

Christmas Eve today! And how does this fine Christmas Eve day being with? A flipping Mandarin final exam…why Taiwan, why?! In actuality it wasn’t bad, fairly easy in my opinion. We had reading, writing and speaking portions. The person you spoke to felt like an emotionless stone wall of strictness to the students. Kinda intimidating. Regardless, the test is complete, it’s out of my life and I can focus more on Christmas now. When the results come out is beyond me but I’m not worried since I feel good about the exam.

Testing room before the exam

With several exchange students, we ate at a dumpling shop, the same one as always. I got my beloved soup but added on two fried pork dumplings just to finally try this food in Taiwan. …Well I tried it but nothing special. Tastes the same as steamed dumplings from Costco just with more oil. A girl from Colorado brought her viola, which coincidentally a boy from the same state knew how to play. He brought his viola to Taiwan but the bridge got damaged on the flight so he can’t play it (repairs are too expensive in Taiwan). So with her permission, Zach longingly picked up her instrument and satisfied his musical craving. We all loved how he began with playing LOTR music. ^_^ Yeah it’s totally different but I had a shot at the viola with a Bach cello suite. Dude I failed so bad. I don’t know where any of the notes are on the viola and my nails have grown too long for play ability. *sniff sniff* I want my cello gosh dang it!

In Tatung school world I skipped ‘Spanish class’ to leave thirty minutes early in order to make the Christmas Eve service meeting up time with other exchange students. It was best not to attend only ¾ of ‘Spanish class’ (the apostrophes are for sarcasm) and possibly upset the other girls for early dismissal. It’s no secret that they’re bored and look forward to school ending.

I’m so glad I did ask for those thirty minutes because I left at 3:30, had to get home (70 minutes), get ready (20 minutes), go to the meeting place (60 minutes) and be there by 6:00. I got there with only 5-10 minutes to spare. Whoo I did it. :D When everyone (about 11 pretty ladies) came, we went in search of dinner together. Unfortunately there are not many cheap places in Taiwan that can fit a group that large. So we spilt into two groups, one that wanted Taiwanese chicken and then my group. Our group was awesome with healthy American food. Take a stab at where you think we ate. ;) Got it?

Our Christmas Eve dinner…was a Subway sandwich. XD Say what you want but I think it was a total win and the best choice out there. Here’s why: First, it fulfilled my desire of non-greasy, oil-filled food and with a bottle of water instead of a soda-cookie/chip combo, the healthiness doubled. Second, I nailed two holiday dinners in one sandwich, a turkey ham sub. Thanksgiving has finally been dubbed complete with the consuming of turkey (no there’s not a lot of turkey in Taiwan) and the ham mimicked the closest thing to the traditional honey ham back in Texas. Isn’t my double-holiday fulfillment brilliant? XD Oh and having honey mustard was a happy trigger too.

Bask in the deliciousness! XD

I’ve never been to Subway in Taiwan before this because Eric (from Sweden) told me it’s crazy expensive plus there’s never been a real opportunity to do so. It turns out Subway is normally priced compared to America and the best part, you can order all in English! Since all the menu choices and ingredients are originally named in English and don’t always translate well, the employees learn the English names. For example, you can’t translate the catchy 6”/foot long feature because they have the metric system over here (which I still don’t know XD). I like how I could get exactly what I wanted without fighting language barrier in both reading and speaking. If possible, I totally want to go to Subway more often for a dash of healthy sandwich time! I have an idea for it with high school lunches but that’s still on the drawing board. ;P

In actuality, all the chicas tonight really enjoyed our Christmas Eve Subway dinner. A Christmas toast was had with soda, orange juice and water. XD Then Erin (Canadian) baked sugar cookies shaped like holly leaves herself and passed them out. Ham and sugar cookies, two winter holiday traditions that I still had in Taiwan even though in a drastically difficult form. XD

The Christmas Eve service at church was absolutely lovely with Christian carols, Christmas passages and two very wonderful testimonies. Afterwards the multitude of people went up on the roof for candlelight carols, three in total. While singing, I wondered what local Taiwanese thought about our voices ringing out into the night. One fantastic thing was singing ‘Silent Night’ outside when the night actually was silent. The caroling and not noisy cars were heard, enhancing the song’s meaning, to me at least. Three songs later it was time to grab a treat I heavily anticipated…APPLE CIDER! There was some for everyone wit surprising little bits of stuff floating in the liquid. I figured out later those bits shouldn’t be eaten because it was chunks of spices for flavoring, such as raw cinnamon sticks. The drink alone warmed the cockles of my heart with a small but present winter holiday feeling. It was a great conclusion to my Taiwanese Christmas Eve. ^_^

Jolly exchange students together for Christmas Eve at church!

I could’ve stayed up to wait for Santa but he can’t come to my house. We have no chimney or fireplace. Oh well, I’ll just wait for next year then. :P Now, to bed, to bed! Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! ^_^

1 comment: