Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Xinbeitou Hot Springs & Xindian Bridge

Saturday April 20th, 2013

What better way to begin a Saturday than to wake up, drive for a bit and then go relaxing? What type of relaxation you ask? Hot springs! My host family and I headed to a placed called ‘Xinbeitou,’ which is famous location to experience hot springs in Taipei. Beforehand I had requested to try a natural hot spring because I’ve only been exposed to man-made ones. So off we headed to try one!

Here’s something taken from a posted sign to give some facts: “The serial hot springs is distributed along a narrow volcano band between Beitou and Jinshan. Beitou Thermal Valley is a sunken deep valley created prior to the eruption of volcano. While it is a crater, the residual heat source is insufficient to sustain another volcano eruption. The hot spring in the Valley is so-call Green Sulfur Spring.”

Beginning to enter the Green Sulfur Spring area.

Bring on the wall of white smoke! Good luck spotting anything on the other side. XD

Host grandmother and I. Yes, it was raining…no surprise there. :P


I love this picture for some reason. If you look close at the supposedly solid color background, you can distinguish two separate colors of white and green. The white is obviously the rising steam but the green is the coloring of the sulfur waters hence the name “Green Sulfur Spring.”

By a stroke of luck the rain temporarily ceased when we arrived at a small public hot spring. This particular hot spring’s water had a smidgit of sulfur intermixed within. Sulfur has a distinct scent that isn’t very rosy but I couldn’t detect such a stench in the slightest here, proving that the sulfur content was limited.

There were actual hot spring rules/etiquette to be aware of otherwise it would upset or offend people. First of all you must wash yourself down in the showers before entering the pools. This is to make sure you don’t dirty the waters with whatever unclean substances may linger on your body. With this being said, you can’t rub your skin together in the pool otherwise it may entice unsanitary materials flaking off into the water. Also before stepping in, you use a ladle to scoop up some water and rinse your feet off before entering each spring. Basically, be hygienic!

Four springs in total were available, each with a different Celsius temperature range. They are as follows:
-35-40°C
-38-43°C
-45°C
-20°C

Beginning with the warm 35-40°C pool, host grandmother, father and I all entered. It was pleasant, warm but not hot. Nearly 15 minutes later (the recommended maximum time in one pool, an hour being the total limit overall), host father and I tried out the next level up, the 38-43°C degree pool. He thought it to be too hot and left soon after for the lower temperature. I on the other hand thought it lovely and relaxed 15 minutes in that pool.

Then for the next challenge! 45°C spring! At first it felt like a complete mistake. Stepping in, my foot felt like on fire. I couldn’t help but think ‘I’m stupid, aren’t I?’ XD But seeing the many people as comfortable as can be in the scolding pool, I decided to brave through it and continue lowering myself in. Once submerged it was a lot more tolerable, just like you have to do with cold water. The feet and hands were the most sensitive parts of the body to the heat hence the most tender. If you move your body or a passing person disturbs the water, you literally get a new wave of heat washed on you. Get it? A new wave of heat? Fiery water ripple? Yeah, y’all get it. :P I only deep-fried for about five minutes until that was enough cooking for me. XD

A nice little break for rehydrating water and a slight cool down followed with the final spring up next. Into the cold I went! Just like the hot spring, slowly but surely I submerged myself into the shocking waters. Initially I thought I fell through ice and was feeling its sting but that sensation switched after a little time to almost feeling warm. Apart from getting used to the temperature, my body heat must have negated the icy water chill. It was a pleasant until a man talked to me…

Across the small spring, a friendly man said in Chinese that I should be dipped in the water so it reaches my neck instead of my current chest level. This is to prevent catching a cold from clashing body temperatures (really cold for lower body and warm/hot for the bust). So I obliged, contentedly nestling down further to embrace the hot spring culture and not seeing any reason to resist. As soon as I did…the world kept constantly reeling down to up. My vision transformed into a broken, shaky 1900’s movie facing technical problems. The same man began a conversation asking if I was from California. I could understand everything he said and even reply back in correct Chinese but my senses were too wacked up for comfort. I knew I was about to faint since the strange condition was not improving. Oh crap.

I wanted to call for my host father for help but I couldn’t see him nor had the mental strength to carry out such an effort without becoming unconscious in the process. Knowing I had to do something responsible, I clearly said “我不舒服” (I am not feeling well) out loud for anyone willing to lend an ear. A caring woman and man then kindly took my arms and helped slowly raise me onto my feet. Slow, slooooow and delicate treatment was needed. We managed to get me standing and leaning on the spring’s rock edge wall to collect my sanities. Host father spotted me in my struggled and came over. After a minute of leaning rest, I braved steeping out of the water to leave the cold spring and sit down on a bench. With molasses-like movements, host father helped me over to a nearby bench, which I immediately sank down into. Somehow I managed to keep a conscious, functioning brain through the whole thing. I think that was a miracle.

Recuperating on the bench, I felt really heavy especially in my chest. I loosened my tight swim cap to rest above my forehead and ears and immediately helped loads, relieving a lot of pressure. The same man from a while came and thoughtfully check on me. It took about 10-20 minutes of rest and bottled water for me to feel strong enough to continue on as normal, with caution of course.

My guess is that somehow my blood pressure was lowered from the spring temperature or my circulation cut off somehow. Either way, whoo-wee! Not a fun experience. Interesting to say the least but not exactly enjoyable. I am thankful for not actually fainting, which I consider a blessing. Last thing needed was a foreigner passed out in the hot springs. XD But hey, now I know I can still speak Chinese just fine even when about to pass out. Skills! ;D

A rinse off and change into normal clothing, the hot spring experience was finished. I did quite like my first natural hot spring encounter though the near-to-faint-time could’ve been excluded. :P Anyway, we exited out onto the street and headed to our next location.

Coolest. Drain. Ever! Just a random sidewalk art that gives the area even more personality to appreciate.

Another wish I requested a while back was to try a Dim Sum restaurant in Taiwan. Today it was fulfilled! Host father, grandmother and I ate at a fancy looking restaurant apparently used for wedding receptions or something along those lines. It wasn’t the traditional Dim Sum style where carts of food roll around and you can pluck dishes off of them, which I’ve never experienced yet. This one was order-from-a-menu type with traditional food but still nonetheless good.

First to come out was a pastry-like food. The outside layers were quite flaky and crispy, further in it became slightly doughy and the core was pork filling. It had a sweet flavor though not sugary, something quite enjoyable. I give it a thumbs up!

Assorted vegetables and oyster dish.

A bamboo (the white rectangles) soup with green beans, mushrooms and a few other ingredients.

Rolls wrapped in tofu skins with a sort of pork and shrimp paste on the inside.

A type of “mantou” roll with sweet condensed milk sauce to dip into. Without the sauce, it was just a soft white bread. With the sauce, numminess. ;)

This was a new type of food for me. Its outside was made out of rice noodle substance, which is a soft and somewhat slimy substance. Pork was shoved in the middle of the roll but the rice outside way over dominated the meat to a being a mere mention of a flavor. I think I would’ve liked it more if there was less outside and more pork filling.

These little doozies had shrimp, pork, and perhaps even fish ball aspects to it. I have no idea what its name is but I know this for sure, I like them!

Pork? Beef? No clue. Meat of some land animal…yummy meat.

Sticky chicken rice wrapped in lotus leaves. More num-nums!

Wrapping up the meal was this…black sesame thick soup. Upon sight, my mind reeled back to my first black sesame experience in Taiwan that made such a lasting impression that I cringed at trying it again. If your mind can recall my very beginning days in this country, a black sesame drink from 7-Eleven made my stomach protest in painful ways without even downing the whole bottle. Regardless, I thought to give this version a shot. In the very, veeeery first instance the liquid touches your tongue it seems sweet. Then it immediately switches to something bitter and less appetizing. But as I continued to slowly take small sips, the gap between sweet and bitter lessened so it became a semi-sweet flavor. Nice comeback black sesame. ;)

My first Dim Sum meal in Taiwan was scrumptious and I enjoyed all the dishes! The tea served along with the food brought about a distinct warmness in my heart, blossoming into an overall refreshing sensation. Comfortably sitting down and getting delicious nutrition into my body resulted in a huge rejuvenation compared to my little episode at the hot spring. I could continue onwards!

Onwards was driving from utmost north Taipei to utmost east Taipei (to drop off host grandmother) to utmost south Taipei, meaning a nice little nap to help further recover my senses. South Taipei holds an area called “Xindian.” Here we planned on climbing a low mountain to view fireflies but unfortunately the constant on-and-off rain interfered with those plans. Even so we found substitute things to do and see to make use of our time there.

Here was a fun little sight. A cat guy of some design with snake-like skin for a body. He acted just like a feline, getting the movements and curious personality down pat.


A famous bridge known as “Bitan Suspension Bridge.” Indeed it is suspended so in each step you can feel a slight bounce rebound from the boards balancing out your weight. Of course its safe and sound but it does bring about the childhood feeling of jumping around those springy wooden bridges on playground equipment. I’ve actually ventured across this bridge before with my temporary host family during a walk once. The difference between then and now is that today was during the day so everything was clearer and livelier.

The river (but I think they refer to it as a creek) that the bridge is built over. Paddle boats, as you can see, are an available activity to take part in. I love the color of the mountains that line the water, being a richer green than this picture depicts.

Immediately after crossing the bridge, a little cart caught my host mother’s attention. Half a minute later two popsicles were bought, one bubble gum and one pineapple. Each only costing 15NT ($0.50US), the lady working the cart had they were “very special.” But its appearance suggested otherwise since it just looked like a regular old tongue shaped popsicle. I took a nimble of each and the “very special” popsicles were just water, sugar and a bit of extract flavoring frozen…nothing that special. Host parents seemed to like them well enough so they ate away as we began our hike upwards.

The little hike was to climb a petite mountain to both get a view of the surrounding area and to watch fireflies. In total we spent around 10-20 minutes walking up a slanted slope that lead to some stairs. We had to take several rests for my host mother because she easily became out of breath. While recovering she would comment to me (in Chinese), “You aren’t tired?” Completely composed with a steady breath and heartbeat I replied, “No, I’m not tired.” This makes me giddy inside because it means my endurance has vastly improved since my last hike, which quickly weighed down my lungs after only the beginning ascent. My track exercise at the elementary school was not in vain! Behold my newfound strength! >:D

Along the way I spotted a large worm that stretched to perhaps a foot and a half long. Host father’s reaction made me burst out in laughter as he exclaimed in English, “My GOD!” It’s still echoing in my head and wheedles out a chuckle. XD

As the on-and-off rain persisted throughout the day, it guaranteed not a single firefly would be whirring about. Also it effectively made my hair go POOF! Though we did reach a small platform that gave a decent overview of the city. Its height was still very short so shrubbery cut into our view. In my opinion, the tree in this shot is perhaps the key eye candy to see. It’s just a photogenic tree to me, that’s all. ;P

Afterwards we climbed back down, bobbed across the bridge and went to eat dinner while killing time before a traditional Taiwanese drum performance to begin (the kind where they bang on the various drums as if dancing, like the Japanese style).

First was a quick visit at a nearby small night market street that led to purchasing a seafood, meat and vegetable filled crepe. I’ve only heard of sweet dessert crepes before so this type was new to me. We got one to share among the three of us but I ended up only taking a couple bites because…

Out of nowhere I run across another exchange student, a French girl named Jeanne (the French pronunciation with one syllable). She was with her host family having a bite to eat. I meant to only say hi but we ended up linking tables together as they finished their food while we ordered ours. They only stayed for a short time before heading out. What struck me as a surprise was what host mother ordered.

A hot pot. Not just the fact that it was hot pot and hot milk tea, but it was solely meant for me. What?! As it was brought out, in alarm I asked why it was only for me. They replied that they weren’t hungry so I could have at it. This is what confuses me: They know I always eat less than them yet for some reason they thought I could down a big meal when they themselves weren’t hungry? A bit of a clash in thought, huh?

I ate what I could and wanted though I didn’t come near finishing. Host father picked up the slack when I was full and cleared out the rest. Though a big meal, I was quick satisfied with the healthiness it presented. After all the hot pot ingredients included meat, egg, cabbage, mushroom and other veggies. The not so good stuff were basically noodles but I left those to host father for consumption. Twas a filling and nutritious meal. Whoop!

Hot bubble milk tea (not so healthy, I know) came with the meal. Actually a drink from a small selection came with the meal and I just chose the host bubble milk tea. I’ve had hot milk tea, (cold) bubble milk tea but not a combo of the two. To satisfy my interest, that’s what I picked (with half the sugar). The “bubbles” were small, colorful, chewy gelatin balls that really didn’t have any flavor. No sweetness, no nothing. The liquid was the main feature. It was more tea based but the milk part came out well enough to be a fair drink. The teapot was able to be refilled but with hot tea, not hot milk tea. Yummy was the milk tea. Average was the refill hot tea.

After waiting somewhere between one to two hours for the traditional drum performance, it ended up being a bit of a let down. Each song began with a molasses-paced start as the musicians sloooooowly rolled out their drums. Even after each set up, the songs weren’t too impressive since the drums felt lackluster. When I hear traditional Asian drums, I expect that umph you feel as they powerfully lay down each stroke. You know that confident, mighty sensation that dives down into the very microfibers of your body and reverberates robustly. This was not it. Not a single stroke even entered my chest and the end of the songs were really weak and almost felt random. Perhaps this is just the Taiwanese style, which is fine, but I was hoping for the fierce kind. Pair that with a cold night and chilly wind in a short sleeve outfit, we didn’t stay for the full show. Don’t get me wrong, it was cool to see. I just went into it expecting something different.

I gotta say, I’m tired. Not feeling so hot either. If I close my eyes and lean back, I can still feel a miniature version of this morning’s episode still weakly threatening to knock me out. Hopefully a good night’s sleep will wipe away that doozy and start anew. So my friends, toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment