Friday, April 19, 2013

Speeches at Taiwanese Interact Club!

Thursday April 18th, 2013

Meat bun for breakfast and surprisingly the JUICEST, SWEETEST Mandarin orange I’ve EVER eaten! This thing was seriously impossible to eat without juice squirting out with every bite, dripping down your hand and even forming a liquid pool in a below plate. Nummy! It was fantastic! :D

Continuing on the subject of fruit, I went by the usual fruit shop for an apple but for some reason they weren’t open yet. No matter I simply visited a nearby smaller one that also sold apples. Though smaller they still looked fine so I went ahead and purchased one in anticipation for lunch. Whoo!

In University class we practiced two songs that we have to perform at a Rotary show. Sometime in June there’s an event where each of the four Chinese classes must entertain the audience for about 30 minutes, more or less. My class has a battle plan of singing and telling “cold jokes” (Taiwanese style jokes)…and something else I think… The thing is I won’t be in Taiwan when they have the performance so I’m not exactly worried about it.

Our small rehearsal today included a fast paced song and we quickly choreographed a simple dance to, some moves I’m glad to say I contributed with. The lyrics follow along the meaning of “if you love me, raise your left hand” and “if you love me, raise your right hand,” etc. If you’re interested in listening/seeing a Chinese music video, here’s the song! Knock yourselves out! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSKfraBYMM

The second song on our list has no dance because it’s a slow paced love song. This one is apparently super famous in Taiwan. The video is paired with a love story movie, which is why it won’t really make sense if you watch it. But I was told the singer he’s American but has quite the reputation in Taiwan. He has a great voice so feel free to take a gander. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvUsOXNPVxo

Does this look familiar? Tis soymilk and I’ve had this same brand before. Brand, yes; type, no. This one is “no-sugar high-fiber” when the previous time was “low-sugar high-fiber.” With that being said, the low-sugar past experience was more enjoyable because of the added sweetness, small yet present. Today’s no-sugar version was still good but nothing too impressive. It’s healthier though. ;P Yet another thing tried before leaving. Whoop whoop!

With Mariko and Shania, a lunch of a small apple, bag of honey cashews & salted almonds (same as Monday) and a tealeaf egg was enjoyed. So delicious! I forgot to get a picture of the heated pot that holds the eggs at the convenient store but I still plan to! Getting the egg from FamilyMart it was lightly cracked before being submerged in the broth. This creates the marbled webbed effect I mentioned before.

So here’s the outside shell with the light cracks covering it.

Approximately the same view of the egg with some of the shell peeled off. Can you see the remaining crack pattern? That’s why they’ll crack them, for a pretty effect like this. Either way it’ll end up scrumptious in the end!

This morning and afternoon…oh gosh…soooooo hoooooo-o-o-o-o-o-ottttt!!! Why is it so freakishly hot?! Not once did I use my school uniform jacket and even carrying it was a pain because some skin wouldn’t be exposed to air from holding it. Did not like sweating just from walking. Eww. It was so hot that my favorite ring, bought in Taiwan, melted and the color flaked off. This ring was one I cheaply got for 10NT ($.30US) at the shell temple. Sure it was poor quality but the coloring meant something to me. And now…it’s messed up. Sadness! R.I.P. My beloved ring!

At high school today was a club day. Did I go do some kung fu? Nope. Change of plans. I joined with the Interact club as a guest along with three other exchange students. Here we were to give a short speech over our time or an experience in Taiwan as well as exchange Rotary banners.

Stephanie when first and talked about Taiwanese food she liked and didn’t like. Afterwards was exchanging her Ecuadorian Rotary Club banner for this Rotary Interact’s banner. (FYI, Rotary is the overall organization. Interact is a community service club for high school students. Rotaract is another club but for young adults from age 18-30. After that you can join the actual Rotary club. I hope that clears up any confusion.)

Second up, Marilu also talked about Taiwanese food she liked then had a one-sided banner exchange.

I was third and chose to create a different speech type. Redy originally suggested us to talk about our trip to Jiufen. Following that idea on a similar path, I thought it would be good to talk about our Tatung exchange student trip to the pastry museum. This is not only to involve both Tatung and Taipei but also…well…y’all know why. XD Why not tell the comical story about my marriage? ;P

Well I didn’t know how well it went but I felt good about my speech. I thought I pronounced the words fairly well and added several fun cups of personality to the story. According to Redy, I did well even thought the audience didn’t laugh at my humorous moments but she said that’s because Taiwanese generally act like that during presentations. Regardless, I was able to learn a few Chinese vocabulary words from the preparation of the speech like ‘wedding’ and the Taiwanese for red-fortune-telling-banana (there’s no Chinese name, only Taiwanese). Fun! I was also able to unload American pencils, American flag magnets and my name cards on the 31 members to deplete my store of American gifts. There’s still too many in my possession and they weigh unnecessarily too much to bring back. Therefore opportunities like these are great to give away a bulk of gifts as a peacefully gesture. Another win! ^_^

Last to go was Rike with talk of Taipei in general. Another one-sided banner exchange.

Our four speeches weren’t the only part of the two-hour club meeting. Nope, there was also a guest speaker talking about a University that involved foreign exchange students. I half tuned in, half tuned out so I can’t really say anything else about it. XD Overall I really enjoyed the Interact meeting today, happy to be a part of a Taiwanese Interact as well as Rotary in general, an opportunity to practice Chinese and hopefully positively represented America. Twas a good day just because of that! ^_^

Dinner at the house had an interesting twist never consumed before involving eggs. Sure we sometimes have hard-boiled eggs for dinner and a fried egg in a toast cheese sandwich for breakfast but today was different. Host grandmother cooked me a fried egg with a bit of soy sauce on top. At least I think it was soy sauce. It was some kind of brown sauce ok. :P Either way, I found yet another version of cooked eggs that I LOVE! Holy crud I love eggs so much! Thank you Taiwan for showing me that I like way more than just scrambled eggs. ^_^

I tried another Taiwanese snack from the bag my classmate gave me. This one was the light chunk of unknown block stuff. From its appearance I thought it would be hard but it turned up to be pretty soft. As the food hit my taste-buds, it felt like it wanted to be sweet but immediately flees away. Its flavor was indescribable except for the word ‘shy,’ not strong but not absent. Though it did seem to lack flavor in my opinion. The texture was little chips of whatnot all squashed together. It most reminded me of fried won ton skin chips (the ones you have at Chinese restaurants with soup) with less salt and oil. With that being said, the individual bits annoyingly kept falling off the main block. Then there was one single raisin in the entire lump. Why? I have no idea. Just to get rid of it and out of my life, I finished it all with half-hearted feelings. Not a fan of this snack, sorry.

My mind just suddenly shut down and I couldn’t process a working thought. Retreating to the bed, I spent several minutes joy reading but soon followed with needing a nap to recharge.

Perhaps thirty or forty minutes later I was awoken by an attack on the building. I just hear LOUD POUNDING UP THE WAZOO. Coming to my senses I distinguished it as rain absolutely flooding down in bulk. Just goes to show even more how Taipei weather can change so suddenly and so extremely. Well hopefully it’ll bring a cold front with it or something. *fingers crossed*

With some exertion I managed to get a few things done before going beddy-bye. My busy-busy homework day was yesterday so thankfully today didn’t have an extensive to-do list so I could take it easy. I’m grateful for how this day was blessed by laying out each activity smoothly and easily. Ok now, see y’all next time! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment