Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tatung Jiufen Field Trip!!!

Tuesday April 2nd, 2013

Again no high school today BUT there was a Tatung trip among the exchange students with two teachers, Redy and my homeroom teacher Athena. Five foreign chicas plus two teachers equals a nice group of seven. We all met up at 8:15 in the Taipei train station near Taipei Main Station MRT. For those who arrived early, such as myself and several other exchange students, we took a pit-stop at 7-Eleven for coffee. Oh yes I was in need of it to avoid dragging through the day. I’m happy to say the caffeine indeed served its purpose well with no crash afterwards. Yay!

Well I should the say the coffee only did so much at first. It was obvious the caffeine hadn’t kicked in yet when I needed to use the lavatory on the train. Trying to figure out this different style of toilet, I couldn’t figure out how to get the lid to stay down. As soon as you put it down it would flip right back up. I tried looking for a button, or slam it down or looking for a magic magnetic device to make the lid stay the fluff down. Returning unsuccessful back to the group, I face-palmed myself when the answer was so incredibly simple. You make the lid stay down by…by sitting on it. Oh. And that my friends, is proof why I needed a coffee boost. XD

When the train arrived at “Ruifang” (瑞芳), we exited the station through a hallway that had artistic photos displayed along the passage. I think I’ve been there before because I instantly recognized a picture I absolutely adore, one of a Ba Jia Jiang (八家將). Asking my homeroom teacher to take a picture of me with it, she kindly did so. Lovely memories! ^_^

Then she suggested to kiss the handsome guy. My reaction was like, ‘haha what?’ but in the end I happily obliged. Turns out the resulting picture was actually really good. Homeroom teacher has a good photographer’s eye! ;D

I professed to my teacher that I really, really like Ba Jia Jiang and she revealed something surprising to me. Apparently there are two of my classmates at Tatung that know how to perform as a Ba Jia Jiang. …REALLY?! :D I SO WANT TO WATCH A BIA JIA JIANG PERFORMANCE! The one I saw at NK101 was more like a modern version. Before I leave Taiwan, I really REALLY want to see a traditional performance. I’m just so amazed that I have classmates that can do it! Though I don’t know them too well, I for sure am going to ask them when their shows are. THIS IS SUPER EXCITING! ;D

Regarding today’s weather, it wasn’t raining except for a light, misty downfall but it was quite foggy. Fog up the wazoo! The view of the ocean was completely obscured and even nearby mountains were difficult to make out. Fog versus rain, I think I prefer fog. Either way, I haul around my cane umbrella everywhere I go now just in case the saturated clouds have a mood swing. ;P

Our real destination was at “Jiufen” (九份), a place I’ve been to twice before. Once was the Teapot Mountain Fail Hike and the other with my host family. I like Jiufen and had no problem visiting a third time. Heck, I could go for a fourth or fifth time even. ;D

We first zipped through the gold mining museum, which I previously saw with host parents. Despite this fact, the gold mine experience was not the same. With my host family we viewed the museum and ate a gold miner’s lunchbox. Among our Tatung group, we did see the same museum but did two different activities.

One of these activities was…dun…dun…dun…GOLD DIGGING! :D I felt like I was in California during the Gold Rush. XD

Situated in front of a long trough of water, each participant was given a small dish with what looked like dirt and a petite glass bottle. Everyone first removed rings, rolled up sleeves, etc. to prepare for getting rich. ;P

The guide then took us through three steps of gold digging. You begin with filling the dish somewhat full of water. Then use your hands to play around with the dirt, making the substance all loose.

Next is to fully submerge the dish in water and gently shake it. Dirt will puff up from the underwater dish like a murky cloud. Bring up the dish and scoot unwanted rocks off the plate into the trough. Repeat this step several times until your bowl is rid of rocks both big and small.

Finally, submerge the dish underwater and gently circle it around three times. This is to get rid of all the rocks and other undesirable substances. By the end there should only be a small circle of fine sand. In this remaining stuff you should be able to see tiny, shiny flecks. GOLD! I’m happy to report I did indeed have several bits of gold in mine! Whoo-hoo! I’m a few gold flakes richer! ;D

For commemorative purposes, we poured the matter into the glass bottles provided and corked the top off. It included water inside as well so you have to let the bottle sit unshaken to see the gold and sand gather at the bottom. It’s a lovely souvenir of such a unique experience. 我非常喜歡!(I really like it!) ^_^

After visiting the gold mine gift shop, we took a break to write two postcards. One was for Tatung’s principal and the other for Bai Lao Shi, the lady teacher in charge of the exchange students. Every exchange student contributed a short written message on each, all written in Chinese characters. They ended up being basic things like “today was very fun” or “Jiufen is a great place.” It was almost painstakingly simple writing but it’s the thought that counts. ;)

Up next was a short walk through a tourist mine, giving basic information concerning a miner’s work. We were given helmets for protection but underneath the white helmets were a ridiculous looking blue sanitation cap. It looked like a weird version of a Muslim cap. XD

The beginning of the dark, damp mine tunnel

Following that was viewing the Japanese Prince’s chalet. This I previously saw with my host family but it was still nice to see a second time. It’s just a small area with a tiny garden and Japanese-styled house. Pretty summerhouse indeed.





This was the archery range just above the main house, which you can see behind the rail.

A peek over the archery range’s rail reveals part of the house and what looks like a miniature golf course for a backyard. XD

The two fine young ladies who were gracious enough to chaperone the exchange students. Redy on the right and my homeroom teacher Athena on the left. FYI, it is very unusual to call your teacher anything other than “teacher” (“老師/lao shi”). There’s no ‘Mr. Wang’ or first names, only “teacher.” Therefore it’s kind of strange for me to think of my homeroom teacher as Athena. But to stay respectful and Taiwanese, I stick with “老師.” :)

I think I showed y’all these pieces of art last time but I’m not if I told the story behind them. So I’ve provided a snap shot of the actual sign just in case. ;) (FYI, this isn’t true Taiwanese culture. It’s just a made-up story over a modern piece of art)


A short taxi ride later and we arrived at the Jiufen old street entrance. This I have indeed visited before with my host parents (where I got my ocarina) but there’s so much here that you could never get bored of coming here. ;) It’s a thin street lined with shops and food stands that winds up the mountain.


Speaking of said ocarina, here’s what the store looked like. Isn’t it so appealing?! It looks like the colorful candy shop of the ocarina business. XD The offered ocarinas are also such a joy to view that it has become my favorite shop in Jiufen street! Love this place! ^_^

To make things simpler and freer, our group of seven broke up with the promise to meet at 7-Eleven after two and a half hours. Both teachers, Rike and I first ducked into an apparently famous shop for their treat of taro balls. There was both a iced and hot version, the teachers getting the cold one and the hot one for the exchange students. In the provided picture, the iced one is on the left and basically is a heap of ice with the taro balls plopped on top. The hot version is a sweet broth with the balls submerged inside. Other than the purple taro balls there was also orange sweet potato balls, green bean balls and red beans. It was a tasty dessert, slightly sweetened but not very sugary.

Since this street was the place where I was first exposed to the peanut ice cream burrito, my buying of one was inevitable. The place of purchase only placed two scoops of the different ice cream inside. Taking no chances, I asked for both scoops to be pineapple instead of a pineapple and taro combo (at Raohe’s night market the taro flavor was kinda tasteless). As always, this treat is a delight to consume! According to my teacher it is called “rung bing bing qi ling,” which is a different name from what I’ve been told before. The name doesn’t matter as long as I get the treat in the end. XD

The final food of the afternoon/lunch time was something that I have no idea how to label. It’s a triangular tofu with some white sauce on some part of the outside. Perhaps it’s meshed up seafood. It kinda reminded me of a fish ball so my best guess is seafood of some sort.

One bowl came with two tofu triangles and upon biting it, the discovery of an inside component was found. Some kind of meat was hiding inward. The outside was drizzled in a spicy red sauce that put a small flame to my tongue but nothing painful. I sure wish I had a fork or spoon to eat this because chopsticks were so unsuccessful. The stubborn food kept falling despite all my chopstick efforts to eat slowly. Not bad in the taste department though I could’ve done without the spicy sauce.

Joining my teachers, we stopped by a tea place for sampling. They offered ginger tea, winter melon tea, combinations and probably more. The straight ginger tea was quite potent but the others available were less strong and more savory.

Blocks of winter melon for drink making purposes!

Before our trip came to a conclusion, we snatched a picture at the street entrance with the Taiwanese, French, German and American flags. (There should’ve been the Ecuadorian and Mexican flag too but we didn’t have them at the time) Yes, America is cute and tiny. :P Something I can’t believe is I can’t find my big American flag that my parents sent me. I searched my room high and low but can’t find a single trace. What the heck? It boggles my mind trying to figure out what happened to it but I still hope that I’ll magically stumble upon it again. It’s still so strange though!

While waiting for a bus back to Taipei, I saw this BEAUTIFUL roof that captured my attention. Hence a spam of stunning photos ensued. ;)


Phoenix in flight


An hour and a half of a bus ride and it was back in Taipei. Electing to take the subway one station further, I skipped out on the bus and just walked all the way home for some nice cardio. By power-walking, it took me about thirty-five to forty-five minutes to get home, not too long but not too short. Twas juuuuuust right. :)

Thanks to walking home I was able to stop by a piece of art that always caught my attention when riding the bus. It’s too far to take leisure stroll from my house so that’s why you’ve never seen a picture of it before.

It’s several robotic dinosaurs with LED faces that change expressions. The big T-Rex can merrily laugh and even display “Have A Nice Day” panning across the space in between his parted teeth. He’s a lot of fun to watch and I took a video of this run through of expressions, which I’ll happily show anyone back in Texas if interested. ;) These guys are just so cute and brilliantly designed!

Wrapping things up, today was fantastic, loved every bit and pleasant memories have marked this day. I give a big thanks to my teachers for taking the exchange students on this wonderful trip!

Alrighty peeps, I bid y’all a very fond good night! ^_^

P.S. This Taffy has been posted so late because I was waiting for homeroom teacher and Redy to send me pictures from this trip. They still haven't but I think this Taffy is good enough even without a few group shots, right? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment