Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bullhorn Croissant With Filling!

Tuesday April 9th, 2013

6:22 rolled around and the front room was dark, empty and no sign of life. Host grandmother was still sleeping and obviously hadn’t made breakfast. On a time budget and seeing an opportunity to choose my own breakfast, I went for it! With only four out of the original ten bullhorn pastries left, I took the chance and grabbed me one before they all were eaten since I have no other chance to do so. I chose the one that smelled like the coffee flavored one and nuked it in the microwave for warm numminess.

The first bite was just normal croissant bread with a crunch since it was the horn tip. Several nibbles in and it was all the same. Just average and pretty much the same as my last bullhorn pastry experience. Then, oh then, I bit near the middle and a flood of flavor washed over me. Holy smokes what was this magic?! As I looked down into the croissant in my hand, all was revealed.

There was filling hidden in the middle! What a wonderful surprise! The first bullhorn croissant I had was the taro version and was completely bread. Then the unknown one I nibbled on for taste the other day was also just bread based. But this, this is what I was hoping for! I’m more of a pastry-with-filling fan than of pure bread. So I enjoyed the shocker of an unsuspecting filling, a delicious one at that! It’s great that I was able to try the coffee bullhorn one because this pastry has earned points in my book. Whoo!

During my walk to school in the rain, I noticed a Tatung high school student without an umbrella and obviously wishing she had one. …Andrea to the rescue! :D I came up beside her and shared my umbrella with a smile. Wanting to avoid awkward silence, I asked how she was and it transformed into a conversation about test differences in Taiwan and America. We communicated seemingly well in Chinese and had a grin or two there. It was a short time but I hope that small deed effectively showed America in a good light. Or heck, if not America then at least a long-haired girl from Texas. ;)

Well I finished “Specials,” the last book of the trilogy. It was surprisingly hard to truck through in the middle and the ending seemed average. The first and second books were the most intense with the third coming up slightly shorter than the others. Don’t get me wrong because it’s a good book and I enjoyed it but I wasn’t left with a strong emotional impact from the ending like I had expected. Oh well.

It amazes me how no matter how many times I eat salad, explain why I like salad or anything else along those lines, I always, always get confronted for it and usually by the exact same people. Sure I’ll answer them every time…with the same answers…but I see this as an occasion to emphasize a cultural difference. As you might’ve concluded already, eating a salad in Taiwan is SUPER abnormal for the average person. It can sum up their eating habits, being more geared toward noodles, rice, dumplings and all that other stuff. Of course Americans aren’t all fanatics for green leafy vegetables but it’s not unusual to see a person eating it. You’re not going to hammer them with questions as to why they are eating a salad. Just another difference.

Truthfully, Chinese class at Tatung was a let down today. Even when we asked to go faster since most of the exchange students (me included) feel that we could be learning so much more than the current slower pace. Yet two out of the three hours were solely listening activities, some pointless such as covering numbers (elementary leveled stuff) and stuff not in our textbook. It may have been just a bad day but I hope this Friday is different. *fingers crossed*

Going through the rain, I returned “Specials” and the 3rd Chinese textbook in the series used at Chinese class. Those are off my back and I moved on to something I’ve been itching to read since I did some research on the public library’s website. I left the building with two of the nutrition books I came across at the ‘Cave Books.’ Score! To my delight I don’t have to wait to be back in America to start these books. It makes my day/night! ;D

That’s all folks! See y’all next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment