Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Lunch Battle Plan!

Wednesday April 17th, 2013

From morning to the afternoon, my time was primarily geared towards one thing, reading the ‘Hunger Games’. Not only am I pressured to read the entire series fairly soon but it’s just an engaging book. I finished the first one today and enjoyed the author’s writing style not to mention plot twists. Though I have a feeling the second and third books are more intensive from rumors I’ve heard. Therefore I’m not up for debates until I complete all three installments and I’m sure a person or two would like to discuss it. ;)

No salad today. You must be thinking ‘Whaaaat?’ Yeah, I know it’s a strange shift but it’s all according to my new nutrition plan. Instead I went to the B1 buffet and had a little mental party. They offered all I desired on what you could refer to as my lunch wish-list. Therefore I loaded up the small, shallow take-out box they provide. With my personal feast I headed back up to my classroom with my spoils. As I predicted, students were shocked and asking me why I didn’t have a salad today. I think they’re interested in what the foreigner eats no matter if it’s normal or unusual for them. ;)

In this take-out box I had two cubes of stinky tofu, one egg, a few small pieces of chicken, a handful of cabbage and tofu wearing fish as a hat. As for the assessment of each, the cabbage was tasty as always, chicken pretty good but not special and egg delicious as to be expected. This variation of stinky tofu is indeed different from what I’ve primarily shown y’all but it’s still nummy. It flavor comes mostly from the cooked outside and light sauce. The insides are pretty much plain tofu untouched by outer spices therefore the outer coating is the most pleasing. Last by not least was my source of fish for lunch. Though I had planned on just getting a fish by itself, I faced a problem at the buffet. They mostly carried smaller whole fish, eyes, fins and all. True I’ve learned pretty well how to eat fish in this manner with chopsticks but still wasn’t confident enough to try one completely by myself with classmate’s eyes curiously watching me. Therefore I went the safer way and close a cut piece of fish though strangely on top of a white rectangle, which I assumed to be tofu. Indeed it was. This tofu reminded me of soymilk with gratefully no sugar or added sweetness and because of the slight similarity, I guessed it to be soybean tofu. It was good and so was the fish but not up to par with other Taiwanese fish I’ve eaten before. The spices on top helped give it an encouraged kick without a brutal fiery punch.

To wrap up my thoughts, I LOVED my lunch. It had everything I wanted, gave me great satisfaction, cheaper than a salad (truly it was) and left me mentally pleased of the total healthiness of it all. Score! In my mind I can’t help but think ‘screw salads, I want this!’ And that’s probably the path at I’ll take for my remaining 40 days in Taiwan (about 16 high school lunches left). I mean, come on, not only is it healthier but it’s Taiwanese food that I can easily and cheaply enjoy before returning to Texas. Though I probably will attempt to learn how to cook these same foods back in the USA because I really love them! ^_^

A classmate oh so sweetly gave me a little brown paper bag with three Taiwanese snacks inside. Not only was this act superbly kind and thoughtful but also the ‘Hunger Games’ oozed into my feelings and influenced a portion. Receiving a precious little package felt like being given a silver parachute gift from sponsors. I have no idea why that thought came into my head but I couldn’t help but delicately carry it as if it was important as a sponsor gift. Perhaps the blame should be placed upon the author’s magic to involve her audience quite effectively. XD

The three contents

I was conflicted with a quite strange emotion today. Don’t ask what it was because even I don’t know. Best I could guess was that a whole bunch of recent tiny feelings all meshed together at once and left me confused. It’s like having multiple bright paint colors, a paintbrush and a cup of water when you were a kid. After dipping the brush so many times into the water with different colors the water would turn into a sick-looking murky gray. The colors must’ve been my feelings and the resulting cloudy mixture of so many left me in a gray area. That’s as best as I can explain it. Don’t worry, I don’t feel sad or depressed, just uncertain to what hormones are buzzing around in my brain. I’ll be shiny new in no time. ;)

Dinner at the house was very nice. I primarily ate DELICIOUS sliced onion with bits of egg dish, fish of some sort and a piece of chicken. Host father placed a pig’s blood cake cube in my bowl so I thought it best to at least that a bite or two. Really I didn’t taste much because it struck me as just rice in a different form. No I’m not really a fan of it but hey, I tried it again didn’t I? That’s what counts in the end after all.

The classmate said the two larger Taiwanese snacks could last until somewhere in May but the small cracker needed to be consumed in less than a week. Therefore I thought I give the cracker a shot today when it hasn’t expired and overall had a great healthy meal day.

First bite of the cracker was just…well…cracker. The snack is actually two crackers with a white filling sandwiched in between. For the cracker portion it was somewhat thick and soft with a salty taste. On the other hand, the filling was hard and its flavor was undistinguishable. Cheese maybe? I really couldn’t tell no matter how hard I tried. Regardless the cracker sandwich was fair. Not bad but didn’t strike a memorable impression in me. Whether it was nasty or tasty, I’m still grateful to my classmate’s kind gesture. Thanks chica! ^_^

Another day closes with a new one closing in. Let’s do our best in the coming one and enjoy it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment