Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bullhorn Croissants and Ceramic Art

Saturday April 6th, 2013

Heading out for our new exploration, I was smart and brought along two objects for the car. A big bottle of water and my laptop, The water was for obvious hydration reasons because I need tons of it everyday but the laptop was for making my life just a tad easier. During the hour long drive to our first destination, I solely worked on writing Taffys because I still had over half of Thursday’s and Friday’s to accomplish. Each day was so packed with great stuff and returning home late tends to back up the workload. Plus I still have to write a Rotary report for the month of March (which I’m nowhere near finishing, whoops). I didn’t make an extraordinary amount of progress in the car but every little bit helps. :)

Parking was extremely difficult to find at the location (called Sanxia/三峽) so host father and I bailed out while host mother battled to find a spot and joined us later. We first went to a temple and as usual had a beautiful design. Sure I’m a full-fledged Christian and Chinese temples are not of its nature, but I still find beauty in the colors and designs of their structures. That goes whole-heartedly for the roofs! Yes, they’re orange but also have a fascinating horn-spike shape and stunning bright colors with attractive sculptures of various types. Andrea likes! ^_^

The outside front of this temple. The temple’s name is ”三峽清水祖師.”

Inside facing the main shrine building

Carved pillars and golden roof undersides throughout the temple

A unique feature to this temple was the addition of scenes to the rooftops. Usually I see a dragon, phoenix or person but this place had settings of different sorts almost as if snapshots from a drama. Pretty cool!

This is probably my favorite part about the whole temple, a captivating design with equally captivating color choices. The roof it was attached to was just as much of eye-candy for me. I could just eat its deliciousness! ;D

More roof loveliness!

Sanxia is apparently well known for its bullhorn pastry “Niujiao”/牛角. Y’all have seen them once before when my host family bought some from our first Huaxi Night Market visit. Well there was only one shop at that Night Market with the bullhorn pastry. At Sanxia, the streets were FILLED with them! The most famous company with numerous branches nearby was “Kang His Shuan Crossiants” sporting a red and gold logo. We stopped by one shop to purchase a box of their signature pastries. They gave out free samples that we tried. I absolutely adored the lady’s bullhorn hat that you can kinda see in this picture. ^_^ Host father said the end tip of the pastry was the best and handed me one. Biting down, it had a definite crisp that was rigid yet managed to not be a disgustingly crunchy kind of texture. Twas enjoyable in a sense.

Host father purchased a set box of ten bullhorn pastries with different flavors. I know what will be for breakfast tomorrow. XD

Following this was strolling down an old street with both sides lined with shops from food to pottery to various things. Indeed it was raining. At this point, don’t even ask if it rained or not a certain day because the answer will always be yes. Holy crud where does Taiwan store all this continuous rain?! Even with my trusty umbrella (even more thankful I invested in a good one), I still got wet from the rain being angled from more than one direction. I had no idea where to tilt my umbrella to block it! So when we found the car to meet up with host mother, I was horrified when host father took my laptop bag from the car and slung it over his shoulder. First of all I was wondering why the heck he didn’t leave it in the car since robbery is not an issue and it was hidden anyway. Second, how could anyone possibly think of taking an expensive electronic such as a MacBook Pro and haul it around in the pouring rain when there’s no need to in the first place. I literally had to beg him to leave it in the car because only being out of the car for less than thirty seconds, I already spotted an obvious amount of water dripping down the bag, which isn’t fully secure by the way (it’s only a messenger bag flap and not a zipped up bag). Mommy is very protective of her nearly a year-old baby Mac considering I use it everyday for Taffy, research, homework, communication and more. My heart attack of the day. XD

With host mother joining us, we revisited the temple so she could see its splendor and walked through the old street again. Afterwards we grabbed lunch at two separate places.

First was stinky tofu at a small sit-down shop. I didn’t find the stinky tofu impressive at all and host parents thought it to be only ok quality. There wasn’t much taste at all to the tofu so I only liked the pickled vegetables.

The second restaurant was on a second floor modeling an old styled interior design. One dish was a bowl of rice, vegetables and pork steak on top. Each vegetable type was relatively small in amount and had a selection like potatoes, bamboo, green leaves and more. In my opinion, the pork steak was the best part.

We finished with a bowl of thick rice noodles. It seemed to lack flavor compared to the strong flavor of the pork steak. Not very hungry, I ate very little of today’s three lunch foods though technically I had more if factoring in the small food samples along the street. With my water bottle back in the car, I was good for the afternoon.

Next was a car ride to Yingge, a place famous for its pottery. Here it had a “New Taipei City Yingge Ceramics Museum” that we visited. There were about 10+ small exhibits, all free and all for the public. Some were more history based and others art based. I took some pictures of the comely artsy-fartsy ones that I’ll show you right now.

Awesome chessboard! For those of you who know, the checkered pattern is my all time favorite so I obviously loved this. But it was also cool how at one end you saw the black and white pieces on certain ends but then flipped when on the other side. You can see why because of each piece being spilt down the middle in color. Both sets of pieces were different in design (some obvious and some subtle), which is how you can distinguish them from the other. I just loved to look at this piece of art! ^_^

A camouflage army hat made out of toy army soldiers. Interesting concept.

The hair. The hair is what caught my eye and demanded a photo. Just look at that fantastic hairdo! If I were a male, I would probably have such a hairstyle. XD

Simply cups but with a charming design and coloration.

ADORABLE WI-FI CUPS AND PLATES! SO INCREDIBLY CUTE! :D Someone needs to get on selling this to the public!

A pot inspired by traditional Chinese women hair buns with floral pins.

I think this was called “coexistence.” The name fits perfectly, huh? Like the dishes and tiny underneath life forms living along side one other in harmony. Very clever.

Coffee break! Or at least vending machine break! Host father and mother shared a canned sports drink that tasted like it dreamed of being a hybrid of Sprite and Powerade. My selection fell upon a can of Mr. Brown Coffee because (1) its beloved Mr. Brown Coffee and (2) the vending machine had flavors not offered in convenient stores. So I tried “Excellent Coffee” for both the name and new experience. As usual with Mr. Brown Coffee products, it was tasty and I enjoyed every sip! ^_^

For the rest of the day it was browsing numerous shops in several different places with the occasional purchase here and there. Most of it was pottery of some sort from tea sets to pots to dish ware to what not else. One area looked like another old street as seen in the picture.

I came upon eight noteworthy little figurines. Ba Jia Jiang! Each was unique with their own names and holding diverse objects. They were pricey, heavy and not as appealing as the real thing but they still tugged at my curiosity. ;D

Back at the house we ate dinner and two new foods were introduced to me. One was what looks like small bananas but according to my host family they are not actually bananas. Not sure about that because I think it’s just a variation of a banana. They said I could try one tomorrow so I have yet to see what it tastes like or what texture it has. Doing some research trying to figure out its name, I didn’t get a definite answer. I fold names like ‘plantain,’ ‘apple banana’ and ‘Cavendish banana’ with probably more titles hiding in the Internet somewhere. We’ll just have to see what tomorrow brings. ;)

Secondly was a small circular cake with the Chinese name of “zhu2 qian4 bing3.” We have no idea what the English name is and I’m not sure what it entirely encompasses within. They mentioned winter melon and pork, which already sounds strange doesn't it? XD It was kinda like a chewy Asian version of a cookie and not bad in flavor. I can’t say I love it but it’s pretty ok.

Michael returned from his China trip to visit his girlfriend and no I don’t know which city it was. He brought back some snacks as gifts like dark chocolate, Asian peanut grain chunks and rice cake. All were tasty. According to Michael, China is FILLED with smokers EVERYWHERE! Not a clean place and not much to do. That’s what his experience was like anyway but it is most likely different depending on which area of China you go see.

Trying to catch up with Taffy took up the rest of my night and I’m left with half of Thurday’s to write. Then it’ll be Rotary Monthly report then finally getting around to cleaning my room and trying to organize all my stuff. Afterwards I need to start weighing in my luggage and things to get a reference with how much leeway or lack of I have for the airplane weight limit. That’ll be so much fun. *cough* :P

Anywho, y’all have a good night/day! Catch ya later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment