Friday, February 22, 2013

Rotary Eastern Trip: Day 1!

Thursday January 31st, 2013

FIELD TRIP TIME! For three days my Rotary district is taking its exchange students on a culture tour of eastern Taiwan. This will be day one! So, onwards we go!

Arriving at Taipei Main Train Station for the meeting place, all the exchange students were groggy. Many, including myself, fled for coffee at 7-Eleven. The reason for this is because we were to meet at 6:45AM. Now factor in waking up, getting ready, breakfast and travel time to get there, you have to wake up quite early and on winter break too. Easier said than done. XD

Combined with tiredness, I had the displeasure of catching a worsening cold just before the trip. So nose, stomach and more were all feeling like crud. Great, just great but there was no way I would skip out on a trip just because of sickness.

From 6:45 to noon was dedicated to riding two trains to our destination. Given to all the exchange students, lunch was “biandang” otherwise known as a Chinese lunchbox. These usually have meat, vegetables and always rice. They’re pretty good and easily portable.

Upon reaching the location we boarded tour buses that would drive us around for the next several days. Two of them were needed in order to fit all the students in. They first drove us to Luyeh Hill for a bird’s eye view of the farming, mountainous area below. It’s pretty for sure but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would’ve due to my sickness inflaming as the day went on. That’s when I thank the Lord for a camera and I can look back at the pictures when feeling better.

Next stop was a quite attractive place both in outlook and theme. Twas the “Aboriginal Bunun Village.” Nearly the entire time was dedicated to watching a performance done by aboriginals of that tribe within the age range of young child to teenager, maybe early adult. Dancing, singing and music were the whole show. An enjoyable show I must say! Of course it’s enjoyable, it’s the aboriginal culture! (I love those cultures btw. Fun fact: Native Americans were the first foreign culture I fell in love with as a child.) It’s not easy to explain what all was seen/heard with words but the few pictures I have will do most of the talking. Visit me in America and I’ll show you the videos taken that will give a whole lecture. XD

Not sure what this all meant but the young boys sat down with the older gents forming a circle around them as the females stood back to watch. The men swayed from side to side, sometimes rotating the circle with several steps as well as voicing long monotones that changed pitches now and then. The design you see on their shirt is a snake pattern, a symbol prominent in their culture. I believe worship the snake in some way or at least consider it sacred. And yes, they’re wearing skirts. They manly pull it off though just like the Scotts can. XD

Throughout the show the performers changed clothing several times. Here is such an example. The females are pretty straightforward: top, shirt, apron, etc. For guys I’ll point out something that’s maybe a little harder to notice. They’re not wearing pants. Now, now hear me out. Indeed they have something on their legs. Those would be leggings that only cover the front and leave the back exposed. So how are their bums covered up? Well they’re still wearing the black skirts. See them now? Bet you didn’t at first. ;P

A highlight, if not the highlight, was when the performers had all the exchange students (about 47 give or take a few) squish onto the medium-sized stage in a big circle. We were then taught an aboriginal dance and soon were prancing around to music, smiles plastered across faces left and right. So…AWESOME! I LOVE ABORIGINAL DANCING! Oh I wish I had a video of it because it was truly spectacular. Love, love, LOVE! <3

A very, very short time was given to the exchange students to scan through an aboriginal souvenir store. Boy would I have liked to purchase a vest with the snake pattern that is such an important symbol in their culture! But $30US bucks for something that probably cost $7 was out of the question. Everything there was very expensive but I was so determined to at least buy one thing for memory’s sake. That’s when the sight of a CD came to the rescue! Its cover had familiar faces from the performance smiling into the distance. That made it personal since I saw in person the singers featured on the CD. Therefore it became my take-home souvenir. Whoo! ^_^

Little bundles of cuteness, that’s what a few aboriginal girls were when they approached me. They were fascinated with my long hair. Though it did get awkward when they simply commented to me that it was long and proceed to stare at me doing nothing else. I guess it’s half cute but half creepy. XD

Loading onto the buses, we bid the village farewell and drove off to Papago International Resort where we would spend the night. It was a very nice place and comfortable too. Slippers for the room were provided, of course, as to be expected in the Asian culture. The dinner was a very impressive buffet with all sorts of food choices. The Haagen-Dazs ice cream section got my interest because I was able to taste test more of this expensive brand that’s still pretty new to me for free. And it was delicious! The main course of the meal was pretty good too, usually revolving around an Asian food style. No one could leave that place hungry for sure!

After dinner the exchange students dispersed and went exploring around the resort. There was activities ping-pong, arcade games, gym, swimming pool and a bar/lounge that had two girls singing away in. Their style of dress and dancing made me feel a little uncomfortable since it seemed all geared towards men therefore I didn’t stay long. I preferred walking around the resort with my roommates (Mariko, Mika and Shania), simply taking in the night air. There was an optional activity held by the tour guides that are accompanying us through the whole trip of a ghost walk. Really it was just a simple walk in the night but I managed to get a Native American ghost story of humans who kill an animal, put on their skin and then gain the ability to transform into that animal and do evil upon people out of Shania (who is a Native American from Arizona). It wasn’t a scary time at all despite my best efforts to get it so. What was surprisingly was that only my roommates and I showed up. That’s 4 out of about 47 people who came. I find that a little sad but did doesn’t mean it was any less pleasurable. A walk in the night feels good.

My roommates and I didn’t go crazy this night and just spent a chunk of our time in the room chatting amongst each other. So there we were, friendly happily talking until a phone rang. Locating its ring I tracked it to the bathroom. Bathroom? Strange since they usually are on the nightstand. XD But I picked up and soon a rapid chain of Chinese was shot in my ears. Apologizing to the employee I explained I didn’t understand everything he said. He flipped to perfect English and kindly asked if my room could be quiet because other customers were complaining about the noise. I peeked out the bathroom at my friends who were calming sitting on the bed talking in a normal voice as we’ve had been doing before. Confused I told him that it was a mistake and the complaints must have been gestured towards a nearby room. He apologized and the call ended. Relating the story to my roommates we soon concluded the reason for the mix-up. Outside our door we could hear other exchange students in the hallway who weren’t the quietest people on Earth. Sure my room’s occupants did nothing wrong but in our heads we were going “Crap. What if the resort tells Rotary and they think it was us?” (Which didn’t happen thankfully) But it gave us an opportunity to play around and mock each other how loud the other was being. Things like “you’re breathing too loud! Be quiet!” XD

Other than the telephone, a for sure difference between American and Taiwanese resorts was the book available on/in the nightstand. Instead of the Bible you get “The Teaching of Buddha.” Come on, you know I had to read a page or two out of curiosity. What did I find you might wonder? Well from reading a random page and paragraph, I learned how to weight an elephant. No joke, it taught you that. Something along the lines of put the elephant in a boat and mark how far down it sinks. Take the mammal out and then pile enough weight in making it sink down enough to match the marked line. Weigh those weights and you have the mass of your elephant. Umm…why is Buddha teaching how to weight an elephant? XD What I want to know is if they actually did such a procedure back in the day. That’s a fun picture to play with in our mind. XD

Sleeping was quite a challenge to accomplish, almost like a chore. Shania played her iPod throughout the whole night. Now I have nothing against sleeping with music because there’s nothing like being lullabied by a Bach composition or a Beethoven piece. But when rap, rock and rave music are playing at a loud volume…I have trouble falling asleep even though I was on the opposite side of the room. After song after song of music that beckoned for me to get up and party, which prevents my body from switching to knock-out mode, I slipped out of bed and snuck over to lower the volume. In my mind turning off the music completely might not be a good idea because of property reasons and a need-to-sleep-with-it-playing for some. Even with the decreased volume, I had a strenuous time getting shut-eye. Party music accomplishes its goal for me, it makes me want to party up a storm. That problem will be solved tomorrow when I ask for no music to accompany us through the night. Tonight was just a one-time challenge.

And since I can’t remember anything else to the day, Taffy end! Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment